Gave up DNP

Specialties Advanced

Updated:   Published

Im an NP for almost a year. I got accepted into a DNP program right after school and I decided to defer it for a year--and I realize I am still not ready to go back to school and I am not really sure Im still interested in getting a DNP.

For those who have years of experience as an NP, do you feel obliged to get a DNP or not at all? For those in the DNP program, are you learning more?

I think I may try again but just not now

I just can't imagine still being in debt for my MSN, which I am not, and then going to get another bullcrap "doctoral " degree, that I would be truly embarrassed and ashamed to even use the stupid title.

I am old enough that it won't apply to me. I feel sorry for 40 y/o NP's forced into the nonsense.

Let's increase the quantity, and not the quality of NP education.

Sheer bullcrap.

I do not understand why the bitterness towards the terminal degree. If you do not want to advance your education, then don't. I do not get the bitterness. I do not see DNP nurses downgrade the MSN only nurses.

I do not understand why the bitterness towards the terminal degree. If you do not want to advance your education, then don't. I do not get the bitterness. I do not see DNP nurses downgrade the MSN only nurses.

Not about being bitter. But the reality is the degree forces prospective NPs to shell out more money for letters that neither increases their expertise, nor more adequately prepares them for clinical practice.

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, Burn ICU.

My mentor is telling me to get the Doctorate. Because I'm young enough for it to make sense. But I'm working on the MSN now (CNS) -- and just can't imagine it. I seriously just want to be done with school. I'm AGCNS but work in an area where peds would be good to have, too. So maybe it'll make sense to do a peds only focused DNP (PNP or Peds CNS) -- but that adds even more time on. But I can't see getting it unless my employer will pay for it (either up front or in compensation afterwards).

I know I can't have tenured teaching position without it, but I also know I CAN teach without it -- at least adjunct. It's a hard decision and one I'm avoiding for the time being.

yeah cant for the life of me see any upside to getting a dnp

gun to my head or it aint gonna happen

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

I know I can't have tenured teaching position without it, but I also know I CAN teach without it -- at least adjunct.

In my area no more teaching on any level except undergrad clinicals without a doctorate.

yeah cant for the life of me see any upside to getting a dnp

gun to my head or it aint gonna happen

Been there done that, ate my hat. :(

In my area no more teaching on any level except undergrad clinicals without a doctorate.

Been there done that, ate my hat. :(

I don't discount it completely and if the situation presented where it is necessary, then I'd be all about it. Especially if I was going to teach. You should always have some degree of learning higher than the group or level you are planning to teach. But requiring it for entry level doesn't address the real concerns most people have for NPs in clinical practice.

I don't discount it completely and if the situation presented where it is necessary, then I'd be all about it. Especially if I was going to teach. You should always have some degree of learning higher than the group or level you are planning to teach. But requiring it for entry level doesn't address the real concerns most people have for NPs in clinical practice.

Yep. I'm not saying I found it valuable in the slightest for practice or even remotely challenging but I did feel in my area of a million universities that it was necessary to remain relevant and competitive.

pondered getting a DNP, but decided med school was a better choice. I mean yeah it takes longer and much more hours but at least the curriculum was useful and adds much more income/knowledge/ability to go further in a career than DNP. Even though its literally 2 more years (DNP after FNP) vs starting all way over for medical school. Nothing about being an fnp transfers over credit wise to med school sadly

Still to this day can't find the DNPs purpose other than being the end all be all nursing degree, but hats off to those who find use in it.

pondered getting a DNP, but decided med school was a better choice. I mean yeah it takes longer and much more hours but at least the curriculum was useful and adds much more income/knowledge/ability to go further in a career than DNP. Even though its literally 2 more years (DNP after FNP) vs starting all way over for medical school. Nothing about being an fnp transfers over credit wise to med school sadly

Still to this day can't find the DNPs purpose other than being the end all be all nursing degree, but hats off to those who find use in it.

Smart man. you will get a far superior education, significantly higher salary and more respect. If I wasn't so old I would have done the same. Best wishes.

Smart man. you will get a far superior education, significantly higher salary and more respect. If I wasn't so old I would have done the same. Best wishes.

If I were younger I would go the MD route... I know now they are not that bright and I could coast their program

I've been an APN for 12 years - nope not ever ever going back. Not worth it. Personally feel that unless it pays more, I ain't doing it - lol

^This.

Thank you for telling it like it is, TraumaRN. I once was a DNP student and gave it up too. I came to terms with myself. I'm not all that young anymore. College is ridiculously expensive and DNPs do not earn any more money, practice privileges,or respect than NPs who don't have a DNP, so the ROI is terrible. Definitely wasn't worth going into serious student loan debt for---not for me.

essentially three more semesters of writing papers and doing a capstone over some pointless topic nobody would ever care about for no increase in pay and some sort of "clinical but not really" ordeal. I didn't think the NP education i got was that great but better than whatever the DNP component was.

+ Add a Comment