Gave up DNP

Specialties Advanced

Updated:   Published

Im an NP for almost a year. I got accepted into a DNP program right after school and I decided to defer it for a year--and I realize I am still not ready to go back to school and I am not really sure Im still interested in getting a DNP.

For those who have years of experience as an NP, do you feel obliged to get a DNP or not at all? For those in the DNP program, are you learning more?

I think I may try again but just not now

I would encourage you to wait until you want to go back. You'll get more out of the program if you want to be there vs if you're feeling obligated. At this point the DNP isn't required so I would only do it if you want to. Things change and you may decide later that you no longer want to pursue it or that you are ready to pursue it in the future.

Specializes in allergy and asthma, urgent care.

I've been an NP for 9 years. I will not be going back for a DNP for several reasons. 1)-I'm not convinced it will add anything to my practice and allow me to better care for patients. 2)-It doesn't make financial sense for me. My employer will not pay for the degree and at my age (56), I would likely never recoup the investment I'd have to make. 3) I'm not interested in leadership or doing research.

Focus on gaining competence and experience in your role as a NP. School can wait until you're sure what you want to do.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I've been an APN for 12 years - nope not ever ever going back. Not worth it. Personally feel that unless it pays more, I ain't doing it - lol

I have been an NP for 15 years. I looked into the DNP, looked closely at several programs and they made no sense at my age, 56. I already don't have the time or energy to do everything I would like to do.

For me, it was mostly about the time investment. The DNP didn't seem like anything that would definitely help me improve my clinical practice, beyond what I could do on my own, for little or no money.

The currently licensed MSN NPs will be grandfathered in, however the MSN programs are beginning to disappear.

If I were younger, it might be different.

Personally I would rather see the quality of NP education improve, and not the quantity.

I would also be embarrassed to use the "Dr" title, as this degree in no way is the equivalent of a real doctorate, from what I have seen.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

NOPE!! I've been an NP for 11 years, before that was an RN for many years and I never want to write another paper as long as I live!!

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, Burn ICU.

I'm about to embark on the MSN -- start in Fall. Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm done, but unless not having a DNP is really going to keep me from doing what I want to do, I'm not getting it. I know I'll recoup the cost of the MSN -- I can't say that about the DNP. Plus I know I'm going to be ready to be done with school. Someone will have to pay for it or make a mighty good case for getting it, for me to pull that trigger.

Specializes in NICU.

I'm in the same boat. I got my MSN, started working and started some DNP classes. I completed 4 of them out of 12 and had to take a break. Not sure if I will complete. No debt, at least, but as I've gotten older I value more of my time than the degree. I spent so much of my previous years building up my career. It's totally been worth it- I have a great job and a great salary. DNP would be more for ego at this point. But funnily enough my ego doesn't care as much as it used to, lol...will I do it someday? maybe. maybe not.

I have no desire to do research or teach, or I'd consider getting my DNP. At this point, as a new NP, I am interested in giving as much effort to my new role as I would give if I were in school. I am considering going back for my ACNP once I am comfortable in my job, but that is to make myself more skilled and marketable.

I think if you are young you need to have DNP for the future I see more people getting DNP now and some jobs start to require DNP in my area.

I think if you are young you need to have DNP for the future I see more people getting DNP now and some jobs start to require DNP in my area.

what area are you in that requires it? Is this teaching hospitals.

I think the requirement is coming up fairly soon, ie 5 years from now the MSN programs will disappear. Everyone will be grandfathered.

I personally will be retired, haha.

+ Add a Comment