Your daily chuckle...

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych, Peds, Education, Infection Control.

I was teaching CPR (BLS) today at work for our orientees; this particular group was mostly support staff, a couple of whom had never taken CPR before. I was just getting into my groove about making sure you had a hard, flat surface and other reminders before moving into AED practice/skills when I hear overhead...CODE BLUE, CODE BLUE...

wELp.

Now, my facility is freestanding psychiatric, so our "Code Blue" does not automatically equal cardiac arrest; it's more of a rapid-response level code. It could be a seizure/asthma attack/what have you or it could be cardiac. We fortunately don't have enough of them to have a dedicated team, so part of the procedure is for all available nurses to respond. Depending on the situation, I'd probably just be able to check in with the code leader and get dismissed; it's day shift, we probably have enough nurses to assist. So I let them have a quick break while I go to check in and make sure the situation is stable.

As I'm hurrying down the hall, I hear, "Wait, you forgot this!" And one of my students comes to hand me the AED trainer. I'd just finished emphasizing to them that the AED should be brought to all medical codes...

This reminded me of the story that the instructor from my last CPR recert was telling us. We has the traditional plastic half body named "Jimmy". Start of a scenario student asked "Jimmy, Jimmy are you ok?"...instructor said that Jimmy did not respond. Instead of starting CPR, the student got up and walked away. Apparently "Jimmy" was her ex-husband...

+ Add a Comment