Urgent Care or Cardiac Step Down: future FNP

Students NP Students

Published

1. Future FNP: Cardiac step down, or Urgent Care?

Cardiac Step Down
      Urgent Care Clinic

1 member has participated

Hello, I just graduated from a RN program, and will be pursuing FNP next year.

In between that, I am considering a position in the Cardiac Step Down Unit, and in an Urgent Care clinic.

I wanted to know which position would be better for someone who plans to apply to FNP schools in the near future.

Hoping someone can give me some advice- thanks!! :)

missdeevah, NP

318 Posts

Would you like to work inpatient, or outpatient, as an FNP? Cardiac step down sounds more beneficial for acute care NPs, or hospitalists. Urgent care would be better if you wanted to work outpatient like family practice, urgent care, or even ER

ADNRN2016

34 Posts

Thanks for your response, missdeevah, NP!

I want to work in the clinic setting as a FNP, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get admitted into FNP schools compared to other applicants with more high-acuity experience (like working in a hospital).

umbdude, MSN, APRN

1,228 Posts

Specializes in Psych/Mental Health.
Thanks for your response, missdeevah, NP!

I want to work in the clinic setting as a FNP, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get admitted into FNP schools compared to other applicants with more high-acuity experience (like working in a hospital).

You should talk to the schools and ask whether they have any preferences. I don't think where you work matters so much for FNP programs. However, I know at least 1 FNP program that gives preference to those with both adults and peds experience.

If you want to eventually work in cardiovascular clinics, get cardiac experience. If you want to work in family practice or urgent care (you see everything), work in urgent care setting. If you're not sure, urgent care makes more sense to me for FNP students.

IMO, as long as your essay (career goals) makes sense, you know the FNP role well, and other parts of your applications are competitive, it doesn't matter where you get your RN experience.

+ Add a Comment