Down Time

Specialties Camp

Published

Hello! This will be my first summer as a camp nurse and only my second nursing job since graduating. I am excited and nervous! (can u be both?) My question is when u have free time what do you nurses like to do? any suggestions on type of snacks to bring?

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

I like to read. I bring a camp chair and sit outside in the shade.

Snacks. Well make sure you abide by any restrictions your camp has, ie no nuts. I bring an electric kettle for hot water and have noodles for emergency meals. Whatever you bring try and get a plastic container to store it in otherwise the mice will get it.

On my down time I hike, swim, do yoga, or workout. I am very active and enjoy "playing" at camp too. I love that it is encouraged.

Specializes in Hospice.

I'm another reader. I've already begun collecting a stack of reading material for my week of camp later this summer. I also took a puzzle book last year. My camp week is kinda a technology vacation for me as well (except for my cell phone - emergencies, weather, looking things up). Since the campers can't have electronics, I think it would be a bad example for me sitting on the front porch of the health center reading from my iPad.

As for snacks, another consideration is bugs/critters! For me it's non-perishables that don't melt easily in containers that can be sealed tightly.

+ Add a Comment