Frustrating issues with my work hours

Specialties School

Published

I was given a heads-up this morning that my contracted hours for next Fall, which were supposed to be 8-2:30 (making me FT and receive FT benefits- a HUGE $$ savings and salary increase) now might be cut back to 8-1, which is 30 minutes less than I am working now. That would not only negate the FT status, but actually be a pay cut since I would be working 2.5 hours less per week than I am working now :(

The super frustrating thing is that it is all because our school attorney (who up until now has given zero craps about any of my safety concerns) suddenly realized that we should have FT coverage in my school. I have been fighting for them to hire a PT nurse since last Spring to come in at 1:30 when I leave and work 1:30-4:30 every day (our school hours are until 4:30) and she fought me and kept saying "In an ideal world we would have FT coverage but having you 8-1:30 is fine, don;t worry". So now that HR approved me to add another hour to my day and I finally qualify for FT benefits, she is saying that they need coverage from 2:30-4:30, and since "no one will only work 2 hours per day, we need to offer 12:30-4:30 in order to find someone". She says they are going through an agency and the agency has a 4 hour per shift minimum.

SO frustrated. Even more of a reason I wish I had known about that PT school nurse job I mentioned a few weeks ago at the local private school.

The only plus is both my DSO and Principal think she is being ridiculous and are fighting for me to keep the 8-2:30 for next year. I am just frustrated because I would have happily done 8-1 and split the job with someone if we had done this last year when I proposed it and I would have never had the 8-2:30 on my radar.

Anyway, I guess I will keep you all posted as we end June 22 and my DSO is spending the next several weeks trying to come up with a solution that allows me to keep the 8-2:30.

Gosh and I thought it was bad that they only contract for me during the "student hours" but I'm always here before and after and a day before the school year starts and after it ends. I've lobbied to be put on the same sched as the teachers and the admins, but the district believes nursing only happens when the kids are present.

What hours are you supposed to actually work? If you are working more than those hours, stop.

Why is it the lawyers decision??? Isn't that a building principal decision?

Our lawyer is in charge of "compliance" so ultimately, she decides, unfortunately.

Specializes in kids.
Our lawyer is in charge of "compliance" so ultimately, she decides, unfortunately.

Ah, gotcha!

+ Add a Comment