Pros & Cons of Physician-Owned Clinics?

Specialties NP

Published

I'm just curious what the pros and cons would be of working at a physician-owned clinic (not affiliated with any hospital system). They have multiple clinics in the area. Is it any different than working at any other private family practice?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

At least in my case...YES! I am going back to the private practice ASAP. Benefits are much better at the private practice I'm going back to.

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

I prefer a physician owned practice provided they treat NPs like a colleague and not a glorified nurse or their assistant. The biggest perk I have found is they have ancillary services set up to allow us to do our job efficiently. No physician I know does the nursing tasks that so many NPs are wiling to do which renders us less efficient. Having staff to do the tasks that don't involve diagnosing and prescribing is important to me.

Is pay typically better I private practice or is there no correlation really?

Definitely private practice!! I love the autonomy! The fact that they ask my opinion and im

treated like a partner in some ways. I can have whatever I want in the office, just ask my MA to order it. The staff is friendly; we are like a family. I'm moving to a big hospital system solely because I want to live in a certain city and it's all I could find for now. The credentialing and EVERYTHING paperwork wise was done for me by the office manager at the private practice whereas with this big hospital I have to do EVERYTHING and it's A LOT; it's stressful! The pay and PTO may not be as great in private as it is with a large company but I'd gladly give that up for an enjoyable work environment. Hope this helps!

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.
Is pay typically better I private practice or is there no correlation really?

In my area yes. There is more room for negotiation.

Specializes in allergy and asthma, urgent care.

I currently work in a physician owned practice and prefer it over working for a large medical system. There's far less bureaucracy and more flexibility. I was able to negotiate a salary that is higher than that offered by a corporate practice.

Specializes in ACNP-BC, Adult Critical Care, Cardiology.

I'd say it's more of what is a good fit for your individual situation. What works for others may not be ideal in your situation. Assess your goals in terms of the kind of practice you want to be involved in and seek out practices (physician owned or corporate owned) that will respect your value as an NP and compensate you the way you feel is just. There are so much variables to weigh in these situations that it's best to give each practice the individual merit vs downsides it deserves rather than a blanket assessment for all.

Private Practice in NY areas use us like glorified nurses. Tells us to take vitals, draw blood, collect urine and do urine dips, set up EKG, and so on. Moreover, we only get to see URI and UTI patients. I am surprised so many physician-owned practices here use us like that. Need to open my own clinic. Screw MD's. our education is far more superior

Private Practice in NY areas use us like glorified nurses. Tells us to take vitals, draw blood, collect urine and do urine dips, set up EKG, and so on. Moreover, we only get to see URI and UTI patients. I am surprised so many physician-owned practices here use us like that. Need to open my own clinic. Screw MD's. our education is far more superior

wat lol

+ Add a Comment