Toledo nurse sang to me

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I came home after trying to find new things to look at in the grocery store, wasting time with my toddler in my cart, so I wouldn't have to go home and get grabbed or intimidated or criticized by my sick husband again. I couldn't figure out what was wrong- we had been to so many doctors. At this point, having no medical background, I was guessing it was time to go to a neurologist to find out if he had brain cancer. He was losing weight and we couldn't find the reason.

The reason was HIPPA. His doctors knew why he couldn't keep food down for the last three months. But I didn't know. I just played nursemaid. Until that night he was sitting on the floor with his face laid in his feet, unable to form a sentence. I thought it was too much phenergan. It was a .512 blood alcohol content. The doctor at the ED said he would die that night.

I called my son to comfort him at my friends house. I sang him a song called, "Jesus, there's just something about that name," to comfort him. I hung up the phone and saw my husband's nurse, who looked at me with compassion, and slowly sang me the song to comfort me- with care in her eyes. My tears flowed.

I wish I could find that nurse. So I'm writing- if you know of an African American nurse who worked at the Toledo ED in October 2009 and has memory of my situation, please write me.

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Thanks for sharing your story..hope you get contacted.

+ Add a Comment