Education requirements for endorsement?

U.S.A. California

Published

Specializes in ED, Long-term care, MDS, doctor's office.

Hello All,

Does anyone know exactly what are the California education requirements for an endorsement for a CA license? Is it an education level, such as BSN or ASN? Or, are there particular classes in the nursing program curriculum that they are looking for? Thank you for all responses!

Hello All,

Does anyone know exactly what are the California education requirements for an endorsement for a CA license? Is it an education level, such as BSN or ASN? Or, are there particular classes in the nursing program curriculum that they are looking for? Thank you for all responses!

It's particular classes as well as number of hours, both in the nursing program and in the prerequisites.

Specializes in ICU.

Required coursework for RN licensure in CA:

1) Communication skills, six (6) semester or nine (9) quarter units shall include principals of:

• Oral communication
  • Written communication
  • Group communication

2) Related natural sciences, sixteen (16) semester or twenty-four (24) quarter units shall include:

• Anatomy with lab
  • Physiology with lab
  • Microbiology with lab
  • Behavioral sciences (Psychology)
  • Social sciences

Source: Important Information

Specializes in ICU.

Regardless of whether you are a licensed RN in another state, if you don't fulfill CA's state-specific licensure requirements, your application to endorse your out-of-state license will not be approved until you complete the missing coursework.

I've heard the communications requirement is what most often trips people up. It's typically satisfied through a speech or communication class. I've never taken either of those and instead submitted a letter listing what I consider relevant coursework (foreign language, literature, linguistics, master's thesis work, TAing undergraduate courses, humanities - my university's equivalent of composition, etc) and included the course descriptions.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:02 AM, outriton said:

Regardless of whether you are a licensed RN in another state, if you don't fulfill CA's state-specific licensure requirements, your application to endorse your out-of-state license will not be approved until you complete the missing coursework.

I've heard the communications requirement is what most often trips people up. It's typically satisfied through a speech or communication class. I've never taken either of those and instead submitted a letter listing what I consider relevant coursework (foreign language, literature, linguistics, master's thesis work, TAing undergraduate courses, humanities - my university's equivalent of composition, etc) and included the course descriptions.

Hello! I am running into a communications problem, could you share more about your letter? Did you have your school write one?

+ Add a Comment