Where are all the nursing jobs?

Nurses Career Support

Published

I'm going to be moving from Ohio to anywhere. Looking at Phoenix, Sacramento or Vegas but I am considering all possibilities. I have 13 years experience as an RN in an acute care setting. Where are all the jobs? I've been reading about so many different cities where the job market is awful. I don't want to move somewhere that there are very limited number of jobs. Any suggestions?

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVICU.

Large metro jobs are never easy to come by. But with that experience, I'd be surprised if you have any trouble. Most places you hear with awful job markets are awful job markets for new grads because most hospitals would prefer experience.

I cannot wait to get out of Ohio. I really hope that I don't have a hard time.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVICU.
I cannot wait to get out of Ohio. I really hope that I don't have a hard time.

You won't. I moved from Buffalo to Oregon with roughly 2.5 years experience and had no trouble getting a job in Portland, a notoriously tough and competitive market for new grads. Not much of an issue with experience.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

OP I was thinking about moving to Ohio, is it that bad there? My brother and SIL live in Streetsborough. I was mainly thinking about doing it because of the lower cost of living.

Annie

There are several jobs in Las Vegas with high pay. With your experience over $50/hr

Are you moving just for work? I'd make a list of otherwise interesting places and finalize it based on the job market. Or just meet "some guy" on the Internet and move to where he lives.

Another post regarding your search for a new location. You are highly experienced. Pick the area you prefer... then find the job.

Are you making a quick move ( for whatever reason) ? Don't make any rash emotional decisions. (been there done that), bad idea.

Best wishes, feel free to PM so I can tell you what not to do ;)

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
OP I was thinking about moving to Ohio, is it that bad there? My brother and SIL live in Streetsborough. I was mainly thinking about doing it because of the lower cost of living.

Annie

As I read this post, Live PD was on a drunken domestic call in that town!

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

Sent you a PM :)

If you are willing to relocate to central California there are jobs in occupational nursing (mostly farm workers.) All of California has jails/prisons but, as to acute care, we have a ton of nurses since we have a ton of people.

That and a lot of hospitals use travelers all of the time rather than new hires. California is #2 most desired for travelers if you want to look there but choose wisely. A lot of the agencies promote 'tax-free' so you are on the hook for taxes and they are high in this state. Recruiters can guide you on both temp and regular staff positions. Best of luck!

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.
As I read this post, Live PD was on a drunken domestic call in that town!

LOL, I know I have seen the town a few times on there and I always make fun of my brother for living there. It isn't to bad of a town, a little run down in some areas, but my bother's neighborhood is filled with 320K plus homes, which here would cost around 600K!!!

Annie

+ Add a Comment