How to document in the ward register?

World Australia

Published

Can anybody help the following question?

In Australia, Oxycondone controlled release has two different brands:

Oxycodone Sandoz Controlled release tablets, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, 80 mg.

OxyContin Reformulated Modified release tablets, 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, 80 mg.

Above two brands contain the same medication Oxycondone controlled release , but with difference strengths.

In the ward register, should a different brand use a different page? or should these two brands be mixed together as the same medication Oxycontin on the same page in the ward register?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.
In Australia, a separate page of the ward register should be used for each brand name and each strength generally. Also, facility policies need to be checked.

How is the same scenario going in other countries such as New Zealand, Canada, UK and Ireland?

no it is not. It depends on your register book. Ours have space for 10 items per page for checking and recording administration. We keep the endones, oxyContin & Targin all on the one page.

How we have laid it out is a reflection of our cupboard for ease of checking & administration. All the patches are in another book as they are all on one shelf, the liquids on another etc.

I am a little confused by your post as you really should be approaching your clinical pharmacist about it.

In Ireland we did exactly the same as I have described above as well.

To John 2018 it sounds like you are referring to 2 different brands of controlled release oxycodone (oxycontin). If this is the case than they are recorded as one, meaning both brands of the same strength are counted together. I have never heard of separating the same drug & strength by brand as not only is it not necessary but it creates more work for us nurses. Hope this helps. But you should still talk to your pharmacist if there is one available

Which state are you working in Australia? Did you check the policy framework? What is the policy requirement for each brand and each strength in Australia?

If you search online with the following key words, "ward register", "separate page", "each brand name", and "each strength", perhaps you can find something.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

I am a NUM in VIC. I am familiar with both my hospital policy and the poisons act. I suggest you research the state poisons act.

+ Add a Comment