When and Why Nurses Are Leaving the Workforce

The 2018 allnurses Salary Survey was conducted in February 2018. The data from almost 17,000 nurses has been analyzed and we are happy to be able to share the results via interactive images. Through this interactivity, you will be able to customize your view and see how various factors influence nursing salary Nurses General Nursing Article

Updated:  

allnurses recently examined the reasons why nurses leave the workforce. This was part of the 2018 Salary Survey. The number one reason is simply age. Of course, as we all age, we expect at some point to leave the nursing workforce. Approximately 2% of our surveyed nurses report they are retired and another 2.2% plan to retire within the next year. On the other end of the spectrum 46% expect to work 16+ more years. When compared to the 2017 allnurses Salary Survey, it's interesting to note that approx 3% of the nursing workforce planned to retire in the next year and only 8% expected to work 16+ more years.

Age is by far the number 1 reason why nurses leave the workforce. Almost 40% cite this reason. Retirement came in second with over 26% of respondents reporting. Job dissatisfaction also ranked very high at >7%. In the 2017 survey, age accounted for 39% of the reasons that nurses were leaving the nursing workforce, while 16% listed job satisfaction as the reason for leaving nursing.

In 2017, 12% of the nurses surveyed listed unsafe work environment as a reason to leave. This number decreased to Nurses Take DC in the forefront of nursing advocacy to address nurse/patient ratios.

Surprisingly pay is not a huge reason for nurses leaving the workforce. In 2017, 16% of the respondents stated this was a reason they were leaving. However, in 2018, this number had plunged to 2.5%. So, are nurses being more fairly compensated now or is the perception of pay improved?

These results are customizable by age, highest nursing degree, primary nursing specialty, length of nursing career, type of license (ie RN/APRN) and state where you live.

To see additional Salary Survey Results, go to:

2018 Nursing Salary Survey Results Part 1 - Demographics

Safe Staffing: How Does Your Workplace Stack Up? 2018 Salary Survey Results Part 2

How Much Do Nurses Make? - 2018 allnurses Salary Survey Results Part 4

You seem to have forgotten about all the "green card" holding Nurses from all over the world that have flooded our hospitals, LTAC's and all other facilities. Did they take a vote? Many of us older nurses can't even get hired because of our age. I know many of them. I'm a 57 year old PACU nurse. Now I can only work PACU through agencies. I can still do the work but yes I too only hold an ADN degree. Every hospital wants BSN now.

Specializes in PCCN.

Hey , I would do that if given the opportunity!call center that is......