FNP programs help find preceptors?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in ICU, CCU.

Hello!

I'm looking into applying to a FNP program, and need help in finding a good school to attend.

Which schools arrange preceptors for their students?

For finding jobs, do I need worry if I took my MSN/FNP at an online school?

Shoot me some FNP school suggestions!

My background/current plans:

-1 year of ICU experience, still working ICU

-3.35 GPA..

-Completing my BSN online this summer, thru

-Currently live in TN, but "home" is WA

-I want to eventually reside and work in the West Coast

-Preferring an MSN program right now, and if so start this Fall or Winter

-May want to do house calls, outpt clinic, medical mission trips as a NP

I'm also worried about not getting into a program based off my grades/experience...should I take the GRE?

Any other advice/networking opportunities are welcome for this murse! Thanks!

I researched this a lot and couldn't find any online programs that have preceptor placement. The closest brick and mortar school near me doesn't offer any help with placement as well.

It's sad times and companies have jumped at the opportunity to find preceptors for you at a huge price. I added up what it would cost to have to use this service and it is extremely expensive.

Good luck on your hunt finding a place that has preceptor placement which all programs should for the amount they charge in tuition.

Your biggest obstacle will be getting an OB/ maternity preceptor. I have heard of horror stories with men not able to find placement anywhere.

Specializes in ICU, CCU.

I talked to one of my undergrad nursing professor, who's an NP, and she said there's a pro and a con to a school finding clinical placement for their students.

Pro: I don't have to worry about finding clinical sites

Con: I have to follow the clinical schedule given to me, and therefore I may not be able to work on weekdays. I also have a religious observance on Saturday, and so I would prefer not to have clinical/work then.

How true are these?

Specializes in ICU, CCU.

How do I get ahead of the game (i.e. preventing delay in grad, etc) by finding preceptors for OB/maternity?

I think I plan to work PRN or PT in WA state, while taking a mainly online school, and so hopefully there'll be enough preceptor sites there.

Specializes in Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.

I know a MSN program and a DNP program (I attend this school for NNP) that find your clinical placements for you. But you have to move. IDK how the MSN program works, but with my school, they just pair you with a preceptor. You arrange your time with the preceptor. In FNP, many preceptors work M-F 9-5 type hours.

Specializes in ICU, CCU.

Which school?

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.

Both Simmons and Georgetown online programs secure preceptors I believe.

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
I talked to one of my undergrad nursing professor, who's an NP, and she said there's a pro and a con to a school finding clinical placement for their students.

Pro: I don't have to worry about finding clinical sites

Con: I have to follow the clinical schedule given to me, and therefore I may not be able to work on weekdays. I also have a religious observance on Saturday, and so I would prefer not to have clinical/work then.

How true are these?

There are way more pros than cons any way you slice it.

Specializes in Emergency Dept, ICU.

Vanderbilt secures in-house preceptors. But you are going to pay for it...

Add USC to the list.

West coast University states they help with finding a preceptor.

+ Add a Comment