Psych nursing experience

Specialties Psychiatric

Published

Hello,

I am currently in nursing school and am strongly leaning going into psych. I would like to get some experience in this field outside of school. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could apply for a job or just volunteer work?

Thank you

elkpark

14,633 Posts

Lots of psych units and psych facilities hire nursing students to work as techs on the unit, part- or full-time. Over the years, I've worked with lots of people who were going to nursing school while working as a tech on a psych unit. Lots of (most?) psych facilities don't use volunteers because of confidentiality concerns -- the fewer "outsiders" on the unit, the better.

Congrats on your first post! :) Best wishes for your journey!

Lots of psych units and psych facilities hire nursing students to work as techs on the unit, part- or full-time. Over the years, I've worked with lots of people who were going to nursing school while working as a tech on a psych unit.

I second this. The transition to RN from tech in the same facility would be almost seamless. Techs are absolutely amazing, and after working as a tech during one of my regular nurse shifts, I have SO much respect for what our techs do on a daily basis with our patients. Good luck! I'm so excited for you!

+ Add a Comment