Just stopped a teacher from applying medicated cream to a student's arm

Specialties School

Published

I am getting so frustrated with this one teacher. I will start by saying she is LOVELY, super dedicated to our kiddos, most of who are low SES, significant issues at home, etc. She is only 23, very warm and loving with all of the kids and they love her. Having said this, I feel like she has crossed the line on many occasions where I just feel like she is trying to be a social worker and guidance counselor (and nurse), rather than their Kindergarten teacher. There have been occasions where she has come into my office, taken a temperature and then called the parent to pick the child up, all without my knowledge. I have found her going through my medical cabinet getting cough drops to give out to kids without asking if it was ok. Each time I have found her doing something beyond her scope of teacher position, I have nicely told her that my job is to be the nurse and her job is to be the teacher, etc.

Well just now, I was in my office with a student and I hear my cabinet being opened and can tell someone is messing with my stuff. I poke my head out into the hall and there she is with a K student, grabbing the hydrocortisone cream and a tongue depressor! I asked "Hi, can I help you with something"? She answered "Oh, she has an itchy rash all over her arms so I am putting cream on it". :arghh: So I tell her "I need to evaluate her and see what is going on with her, I can't just have you put medication on her arms. Parents actually have to sign a consent form for any type of medication we give, and this might not even warrant this cream". She just stared at me and then said "Are you sure? I don't mind putting it on her" :banghead: So I said "I am telling you NOT to put it on her, and NOT to give any child medication. Please send them to me. I am the nurse and that is why I am here". She just said OK and left.

I will have another conversation with her later, as well as my operations director. I am definitely going to do a lengthy in-service in August when we all come back to show the teachers the consent forms, tell them that even I can't just give an OTC without express consent from a parent. I seriously wonder what the heck has happened without my knowledge between 1:30 -4 every afternoon after I leave.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Sounds like someone needs to put a leash on her. Seriously, this is bad. A meeting of her superiors and you needs to take place. There are liability issues here. She is literally practicing medicine without a license which is illegal. Make sure her superiors are educated on this and document EVERYTHING.

It doesn't matter how nice she is. She is being careless and stupid and it needs to stop now.

+ Add a Comment