Med Error from incorrect Mar

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Not blaming anyone but today I found out I made two med errors. We received an order on Friday night for a med that is to be given at 2pm. The nurse overnight documented the med at 8pm

So here I am popping my meds at the wrong time. Another nurse found the error and now I'm worried sick. I should've checked it again but I didn't. I know it sounds stupid but I didn't know I had to check after another nurse. But now I know.

What will happen? What about the med tech on day shift that technically didn't give the 2pm med?

Please any advice is welcome.

When I said two med errors, I meant that I had given this med to her two days in a row at 8pm

Calm down and go about your business until you are informed by management what will happen. No one here knows what will come of this, and worrying yourself sick over it, at this point, leaves you open to making a more serious mistake.

This is very true. I suffer from severe anxiety so I know constantly thinking about this won't help me. I just started this job as well so that's why I'm worried.

Although I know I should check everything all the time, I don't know that I would have the time to go back and check every order for completeness and accuracy each and every med pass or shift. In my facilities, we had certain people who were responsible for checking orders, such as the night shift house supervisor. It is too much to expect from individuals in most cases. Of course, this reasoning is not going to help you now that the error has been made.

Although I know I should check everything all the time, I don't know that I would have the time to go back and check every order for completeness and accuracy each and every med pass or shift. In my facilities, we had certain people who were responsible for checking orders, such as the night shift house supervisor. It is too much to expect from individuals in most cases. Of course, this reasoning is not going to help you now that the error has been made.

I appreciate you for taking time to speak to me. I'm still a nervous wreck and the uncertainty is killing me but I know I just have to focus and not make another mistake

Only advice I have is to work on your relaxation skills, self distraction, perhaps spirituality. Engage in a pleasant and/or productive activity. Do all of this after you have thought through your possible reaction to a formal admonition. But think things through only once and make yourself do something else. Best wishes.

Hey, I’m a new nurse (I got my license in February) and I’m sitting here after my shift freaking out. I suffer from extreme anxiety like you said you did so I’m hoping I can talk to a fellow nurse regarding my med error. I’m new to this forum does messaging work on here? I made a med error at work and I was just wondering what came out of your situation at work when you made a med error.

Specializes in Cardiac, COVID-19, Telemetry.

If I were you, I would just take the experience and learn from it and if they address it go from there. @Fl0ridaNurse

@tropsnegRN I’m just nervous that they’re going to ask why I didn’t say anything when I realized it. I just got home from my shift and I’m literally freaking out (so bad that I’m throwing up from anxiety. Sounds extreme, I know.). I’m obsessively googling what is going to happen to me if they find out. I don’t think I’ll get a wink of sleep. I’m seriously considering a career change. I work at an old school facility who is still on paper charting so no fancy med scanners, etc. to alert me of a med error. I know it’s my responsibility so I’m kicking myself for it and freaking out over losing my job or my license for not telling on myself.

Deleted. Realized phantom thread raised from the dead.

+ Add a Comment