Nurse to Patient ratio in NYC or NY

Specialties Emergency

Published

I know this has probably been asked a dozen times, I just wanted some up to date information I already skimmed some old forums and didn't really get my answer. I'm a travel nurse in Orlando currently and i gotta say I do love it! I told them I want to extend but I have been having this nagging dream of traveling to NY for so long. I heard working ER in NY is horrific though. I've heard of patient ratios of 1:9 or 1:10 etc. I actually interviewed for a job at Good Samaritan at West Islip and the nurse manager asked me if I would be ok with a ratio of 1:8 I was in absolute shock! for an ER that sounds nuts to have that many patients at once, of course if they do evenly spread it out but we all know how that can go sometimes. In general I've traveled to NY and I love it, I'm just scared about work being hell. Can anyone with experience tell me what it's like to work ER over in the city or surrounding areas? I do want to be in the city, just for the experience and I plan on only doing one contract so I guess even if it is bad it wont be for long. Any info is appreciated!!!

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

My friend who worked in NY said the ratio was about 8:1, with a "hallway ICU" patient sometimes. I've met some travel nurses who confirm this insanity, but most of them told me they learned a lot of stuff. If you don't mind that liability and responsibility, go for it.

+ Add a Comment