How early to start preceptor search

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in Emergency Dept, ICU.

How early did those of you that did FNP preceptors begin your search? I'm a year out and feel like it is too early.

I feel like people will forget they talked to me this early out. Was going to start in January for my August preceptors.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I have had students reach out to me a year in advance. I have also had them reach out at the last minute when their previous plans did not work out. Right now I have students scheduled for Sept. 2018 / January 2019. If your school isn't going to help you, I would start talking to your potential preceptors now. Most of my students (of the ones who had to find their own preceptors) knew me from the hospital ( I worked there for over 15 years). Good luck!

Specializes in Labor and Delivery.

I had my preceptor picked out and ready to go before I even applied. My school started reaching out and getting all the ducks in a row a year out but I'm in a cnm program and it's hard to find CNM preceptors.

Specializes in L&D.

My school encouraged it during our orientation.

I haven't applied to any FNP program yet. My question is, can my preceptor (NP, MD) be from the hospital I work at? I don't understand why RNs are looking for preceptors when they work in the hospital/clinics with MDs and NPs.

So is it not allowed for your clinical site to be your place of employment? Just curious.

Specializes in Labor and Delivery.

So I'm doing clinical with a CNM I work with in a clinic at the hospital I work at. However, once I start delivering babies I cannot work on the labor unit anymore because it's a conflict of interest. But I guess it all depends on what hospital you work at.

+ Add a Comment