Trouble at the lab today, what to do?

Nurses Recovery

Published

I swear, it's always something. Today at the lab, a second collector came in and was helping the lady that usually collects my urine. So, she took the cup from me to pour into the little container, and then quickly walks into the bathroom and dumps the rest of my liquid gold urine! Meanwhile, my regular collector yells, "no, she's split, she's a doctor!" (Which was surprising they think I am a doctor, lol)

Anyway, she apologizes over and over and is like I just need a little more to fill the second container cause I can dump some out of the first....

So I try. About 8 drops come out. She opens up the first container and is pouring them like she is making a potion trying to get them both up to the line. I am just awestruck. Needless to say, the second container did not quite meet the line. My regular collector said something to the effect that the first container is the most important to be full. I asked if there was a way they could say what happened and was assured "don't worry they will ding us for this if the second one needs to be tested."

That is great. But my problem is, what if they contaminated the first one?? What if they do need to test the second one?

I am certainly trying to stay under the radar in my last 7 months of TPAPN, but should I call or email to let them know about this? I feel like they are gonna blame me anyways for not making them follow the chain of command. It was not possible to stay at the lab and chug water today, as it is a busy day and I didn't want to end up dilute anyway! I have a "new" case manager, as of May 11, and have not heard from her yet..If it was my old one, I would definitely email her because she was very helpful but I haven't heard from this new one. And for the record, this is my 4th case manager in 2.5 years.

Any advice? What would y'all do??

If it was a case manager you had a good rapport with, I would probably just shoot them a perfunctory email. Otherwise, I would probably let it go. Ultimately, if they submitted a sample that was inadequate, that is on them.

In my time in monitoring, I've had two blood samples rejected by the lab because the collectors packaged it wrong and it was outside of the acceptable temperature range when the lab received it. I did have to retest, but my money was refunded from the first attempt and it was never held against me.

I would let it slide and if they end up not having enough, that is on them because technically, they could have held you there for a couple hours to produce another sample, and they chose not to.

I recently had a problem at the lab I typically use. The containers were all damaged, and I kept refusing the containers until they found one that (I hoped) was pretty much intact. I sweated and worried about this problem. And while I try to lay as low as possible with my Case Manager, The number of damaged containers, and the fact that the lab staff did not seem to understand the importance of this kind of issue was very troubling; I finally emailed my case manager to make her aware that there was a problem. She said that she would report it to Affinity (who manages our labs), and that they would "investigate the complaint, if it was deemed credible I would be contacted". Of course no contact. So all I can say is that despite whatever goes on in the specimen collection process, while under our own 2 eyes, I feel like we are responsible. I think it would be great to get some guidance on this process. Luckily, I had been doing screenings for a few months, when I encountered the same problem of the staff not understanding that a split screen is required (heck I didn't even know what that meant initially). And I got a newbie who just pulled out a single vial....and yada yada yada... I guarded the pee with my life and told them "nope, its a split!!!" and of course they had no idea how to handle this situation, as they had already entered my info in the Quest computer thing. So despite the fact that the lab should be held to a certain standard regarding specimen collection, I have encountered problems, and decided to be upfront with these issues with my case manager. Not that it really will help my case if there is a problem, but that my future is too important to have some lab tech screw up and me just sit on my heels. This is not a situation where you just ride it out, and ask for forgiveness later, cause there is no forgiveness. So I feel like all I can do is be super vigilant, and call out discrepancies as I see them, and then report to my Case Mgr so I make sure I don't get toasted for something

I'd get the names I'd the lab people just in case I needed to go back to them and have them explain. It's probably fine, I had a similar thing happen where there wasn't quite enough to fill both, and they said the same thing, that the first one needed to be full but the second one didn't. I would have emailed my case manager, but I have a good relationship with mine. I don't know if I'd want to throw this out there to a new case manager, however, if it comes up as an issue and you didn't say anything...ugh. I don't know. For sure write down the names of the lab people, you'll know within 3 days if there's gonna be an issue.

I'd make sure you have names of those involved should it come up later and don't speak a word of it to your program unless they ask. The feeling I got from my three years in monitoring is that all mistakes, regardless of who caused it, raises suspicion against you.

I do know one of their names, the place is pretty small and it has been the same people there for the last 2.5 years. And I know that the lady who dumped my pee out while trying to help is like the manager of the office..

Anyway, thank you guys for the advice. I def want to stay under the radar so I hope to just log in and see my negative and put this behind me. Fingers crossed.

I def want to stay under the radar so I hope to just log in and see my negative and put this behind me. Fingers crossed.

Let us know when you get your result!

Specializes in OR.

First time I'd gone today and my regular person wasn't there. Jeez, lord almighty!!! I had to point out to this person that no I did not have the 'order' and to check the fax machine. No she did not have to set it aside while she took the other 10 people first because it was 'outside of tox screen hours' (because of some LabCorp contract, we don't have to wait until that window) and for the love of baby Jesus, it was pee, not blood and no there were no 'orders to be put in the computer first.' I watched this one like a hawk. I'm terrified that something got screwed up because she was either very new at this or a complete idiot.

I can't wait until this stupid charade is over.....16 months and 23 days to go...

Let us know when you get your result!

Well, after waiting almost a week it was negative. I was sure something was wrong over here being negative Nancy since it took so long, but I guess it was just the holiday.

All is well in monitoring land again. That was a close one though! I appreciate all of your responses and support...I am grateful to have this board to come and post to when I am stressed. No one else understands our fears.

Hang in there everyone.

Specializes in OR.
First time I'd gone today and my regular person wasn't there. Jeez, lord almighty!!! I had to point out to this person that no I did not have the 'order' and to check the fax machine. No she did not have to set it aside while she took the other 10 people first because it was 'outside of tox screen hours' (because of some LabCorp contract, we don't have to wait until that window) and for the love of baby Jesus, it was pee, not blood and no there were no 'orders to be put in the computer first.' I watched this one like a hawk. I'm terrified that something got screwed up because she was either very new at this or a complete idiot.

I can't wait until this stupid charade is over.....16 months and 23 days to go...

Mine too was negative. I had gone later than I normally do and the regular lab tech wasn't there. Last time I do that. Back to waitin on thier doorstep at 7am sharp!!

+ Add a Comment