Sometimes I hate rules

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, Community Health, School Health.

Little K student shows up in my office with a bottle of Rx eye drops- clearly has allergies, poor thing eyes look terrible. No paperwork, bottle not in original Rx box, so does not have her name or directions or anything. So of course, I can't administer them. I call her mom who is nice as can be and says she threw the box away (they are PRN so she has had them for a while). So now mom has to leave work, come here to fill out permission for me to give them, then take the form to her doctor and beg them to fill out and sign on the spot, then bring them back here. This will likely be a few hours. Sometimes I feel like the hoops we have to jump through to follow the regs cause more issues. I totally get it 100% but it is just frustrating, especially with my population that I work with, where leaving work might mean they lose their job, or they can't advocate for themselves when they show up to the doctor with a paper that needs to be signed on the spot. Anyone else feel frustrated by these types of things?

Specializes in Med Surg, Tele, School Nurse, EMT/FF.

Only other suggestion I might have is allow the mom to administer the drops when she picks up the paperwork. Hopefully the student may not need them again today. Then see if she can have the doctor sign the paperwork after school/work. I've had this happen a couple times and this is the best solution I have found for something that can be very tedious with all the paperwork/legality.

Specializes in School Nurse.

Could you fax/scan email the form the parent to sign and then she can send to MD?

Specializes in School health, pediatrics.

In my district a parent can come and administer the med, and then we can fax off the form to the MD to hopefully expedite that.

Could you fax/scan email the form the parent to sign and then she can send to MD?

Unfortunately she doesn't have access to computer or smart phone.

Only other suggestion I might have is allow the mom to administer the drops when she picks up the paperwork.

In my district a parent can come and administer the med, and then we can fax off the form to the MD to hopefully expedite that.

This is what I was going to suggest. Parent comes in for paperwork and administers. Then you can fax to dr office. Most offices around me get the paperwork back to me on the same day. Maybe call ahead to say "Hey, I know you're all busy but can you quickly sign this and send back so I can administer?" Making a super polite phone call does wonders for getting forms back!

Specializes in School nursing.

I'd do the same. Or if I can verbally confirm with the doctor's office on the phone the order, I'll give it once and fax the paperwork over.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
Unfortunately she doesn't have access to computer or smart phone.

Maybe you can do it for her? I do that for parents all the time.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Yes I have. You are a good person.

I have also found that my life works much better when I don't bend the rules (even the ones I find stupid, bothersome, etc.)

Yes I have. You are a good person.

I have also found that my life works much better when I don't bend the rules (even the ones I find stupid, bothersome, etc.)

Yes, definitely not going to bend the rules. Mom came in and signed and I called the doctor's office to speak with someone who will make sure forms get signed and faxed back over here.

Specializes in ICU.

Why can't the Mother administer the eye drops prior to school, after school, and at bedtime? And not even involve the school? That would be drops given three times per day.

Now that sounds like a great idea! Maybe though, that last time she sees her is earlier in the morning like 6am, like if it was a nurse's kid, who has to be to work at the hmmcrack of dawn. The drops might star wearing off like noon. Allergies really suck! It'd be extremely hard to learn with itchy watery eyes. Glad you got it taken care of for her.

I am not a school nurse though I love to lurk here to see what y'all do. :cat:

Y'all rock! :singing:

+ Add a Comment