Interview in the ER

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Tele.

I'm currently a float pool nurse and while I've enjoyed the working on many units, I'm missing having a home. I have been interested in the ER for awhile so I took the plunge and applied today! I got a call from an ANM within an hour for an interview. :wideyed:

While I'm excited, this makes me nervous. They're hurting that bad for help and I'm heading for a war zone (which I'm sure ERs are anyway!).. What are others experiences making the leap to ER from acute care? Constantly short staffed??

Well with all new positions but particularly ones where it's possible they are seriously hurting for help, your very first order of business is to ensure that you will have the opportunity to get up to speed properly before attempting to manage your own assignment. And you have to be strong/secure enough to make sure it happens by not wimping out if they start belly-aching about how they need you to take your own assignment after a few days of getting acclimated.

The ED is its own world but (current initiatives notwithstanding) I think it's pretty great. You should check out the situation.

Good luck~

+ Add a Comment