How soon is too soon to quit a new nursing job!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Do I stay or go?

Leave asap, life is too short
      Ride it out a bit longer

21 members have participated

Hey everyone ! I just switched from labor and delivery to critical care and I realize I made a mistake. I am so unhappy in critical care and this experience just made me realize I am happy as a labor and delivery nurse. I have been a nurse for 7 years and had been doing labor and delivery for 4 years up until this latest idea I had to switch to critical care.

My problem is I just got off my critical care orientation and I have only been working at this facility for a little over three months! I am just wondering how soon is too soon to try to switch to the labor and delivery unit at this new hospital. I know I intend to leave it's just a question of when. I used to love coming to work when I was working labor and delivery and now I dread every shift!

Please advise!! Should I go speak to there director or just wait it out miserable until some unclear amount of time that's "acceptable" before leaving?

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

I'd give it at least 6 months. By then, you'll probably have adjusted to the drastic specialty change you just took upon yourself. Look at it this way: jumping from L&D to critical care...well, you're kind of like a new grad again.

If you still truly miserable after 6 months, then start the job search. Don't quit this job before lining up the next one.

In the meantime, I would consider picking up a per-diem L&D gig. A few shifts each month will help keep your L&D skills current and be a potential in towards the next job, should you decide to leave critical care.

Give it a chance. Not happy in 6 months? Look to leave. Best of luck

+ Add a Comment