Extremely Lost...Graduated with B.S. in Biology but Decided to Pursue Nursing

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place/way.

• I have little idea what my best options are, and am confused as a result.

Disclaimer:

I have read many old posts from people in similar situations as me (got a B.S. degree, trying to switch to nursing, etc.), but they have not been very helpful because they were either outdated or the information was confusing.

Main questions:

1. Given my situation, what is the quickest and least expensive path for me to become a nurse? (When I say "nurse," I am referring to a hospital RN, not a CNA, LVN, or LPN.)

My short-term priority is to be able to get a nursing job, so that I can pay off debts.
    I hear "accelerated BSN" a lot, but the time+money problem is complicated by #2.
  2. I am intrigued by the idea of also becoming a nurse anesthetist (CRNA?) further down the road (further = if the way the education system works requires me to do other stuff first), since I assume I need significant RN experience first to be eligible for that track.

However, I found "direct entry MSN programs" that seem to be a shortcut way for people to skip the "BSN" altogether and just become a "CRNA" without needing to work as an "RN" first? I don't fully understand the path, whether it has any catches, or whether it can get me to where I want faster/cheaper.
  3. What do nursing programs want to see in their applicants? Lots of community service/volunteering? Leadership history? Unique experiences?

* The program sites I've been reading focus mostly on the pre-req courses, but I don't want to be lured into thinking that's all they look for, unless it really is that straightforward.

I have no idea where I stand, or whether any of the extracurricular stuff I did in college matters/translates well into a nursing track.

If you read everything up to here, thank you so much :') I would be very appreciative of any advice.

Have you considered PA school? The time investment will be very similar and you'd be graduating with a Master's as opposed to a second Bachelor's degree. Not to mention you'd be earning close to double the salary. You are definitely a great candidate.

Have you considered PA school? The time investment will be very similar and you'd be graduating with a Master's as opposed to a second Bachelor's degree. Not to mention you'd be earning close to double the salary. You are definitely a great candidate.

I have, and when I researched the requirements, they said I would need 2-3 years of clinical experience. I thought that I would rather stick with nursing all the way instead of using nursing as a stepping stone to something else.

Specializes in Cardiovascular.
Thank you for sharing your backstory! For your scholarships, were you awarded them based on merit, or was it through FAFSA/gov aid?

Also, when is the right time to ask an employer whether they/the hospital is willing to cover the costs of your additional schooling, be it a masters, PhD, etc? Does that question come up in the initial interviews, or in the negotiations after they give you an offer?

I got some grants through FASFA, and for the others they were based on need. I use the term "need" loosely, since they had more scholarships than applicants. The scholarship I applied for were only the ones that my school gave out, I didn't even look into external scholarships. My CC gave out a total of like 30 scholarships, that was over half of my class that was going through nursing school with scholarship (directly related to nursing), paying partial or even full amount of tuition.

As for the covering of cost of education from your employers, I would say it depends. It's one of those you have to read the situation. During my on boarding process for work at my facility, HR came and talked about tuition reimbursement for further education. Some places are really good about it, some not so great. For example my facility covers for you to get your RN to BSN and various certifications, but won't cover masters, unless you agree to some other stuff, I've only heard of them doing it once.

Specializes in ER.

I was in a similar situation as you.

I graduated from a UC with a Bio degree with the intentions of applying to PA school. Then after college, I worked along amazing RNs at UCSF who inspired me to pursue nursing school. I just applied to an ABSN program because I thought it would be the most time effecient way to obtain my goal. I'm anxiously waiting to hear back!

I'd recommend you get your CNA/PCT so you have some kind of direct patient care experience. Also, you'd work under RNs so that would be a great experience too.

Good luck!

B.S. to BSN program. Im in one now that takes 18 months. Some take as little as 11 months others as long as 24 months. Basically it is in person core nursing classes and clinicals only as long as you have all the prerequisites which if you were a bio major you probably do.

Not many employers pay for additional schooling these days. I think I get a $1k discount at certain schools, but the majority of the cost is left to me.

Do not do a direct entry MSN. I have heard from the mouths of HR people they will not hire them. No previous clinical experience and it costs too much to hire them for the bedside.

CRNA school requires ICU experience.

Also, check your job market. Not that long ago, it was extremely difficult for new grad RNs to find a job there.

Not many employers pay for additional schooling these days. I think I get a $1k discount at certain schools, but the majority of the cost is left to me.

Do not do a direct entry MSN. I have heard from the mouths of HR people they will not hire them. No previous clinical experience and it costs too much to hire them for the bedside.

CRNA school requires ICU experience.

Also, check your job market. Not that long ago, it was extremely difficult for new grad RNs to find a job there.

thank you for telling me about what you heard from HR! That is very important to know.

You have an excellent resume; you're not "lost!" Also, I don't care WHAT anybody says, you DON'T need another bachelor's degree, especially since you have one in Biology. I got my B.S. in Public Administration (with courses in Health Education and human biology), THEN became an LPN after one year of CC! My very first hospital interviewer LOVED my background and hired me, even though I had not yet finished the R.N. program, and the hospital had quit hiring LPNs! Friends have had similar experiences...easy admission to nursing schools due to already having a degree...and employers loving their educational/work/volunteer background. Get your R.N. the cheapest/fastest way you can (ok, even if that's a bridge program to BSN). Then go for a masters in an area of nursing (or business!), after you've worked and have a sense of where your career is headed. You're obviously studious, a hard worker, and well prepared. You got this. It's just a matter of finding and applying to programs in your locale, and picking the one that is the most cost and time efficient.

+ Add a Comment