Nursing school and parenting

Students General Students

Published

Hey guys,

I'm not working during this program and using assistance from WIOA. My son's birthday is coming up and even though I know this is only temporary, it makes me feel bad that I don't have a lot of money to do something big for his 3rd birthday. It's next month and I haven't been able to save up yet due to the tight budget.

Who else went through something similar and how did you handle it? I don't feel guilty really, I feel sad because I feel like this is the first birthday where he will actually understand what's going on.

Specializes in Oncology.

I understand how you feel but the plus side of this being the first birthday where he really understands is that he has no frame of reference (nothing to compare it to). My children are 4 and 8 and my advice is don't start doing huge birthday celebrations right away anyway because then you feel you have to top it every year. The beauty of kids being young is they feel special and valued with just a little extra special attention. Let him choose something special to do that day (give him a couple low cost choices). For a 3 year old a trip out to ice cream and a small gift is enough to make him happy. If you have family or friends close by that can join you even better. Don't feel bad ... the fact that you're worried about it says you are a loving attentive mother and that's most important.

KThurmond

636 Posts

Thank you! I appreciate your response and advice. I'm thinking about taking something into daycare on his birthday (on a Wednesday while we have class) and then going to the Zoo or something similar on the weekend. I have a bad habit of spoiling him because I'm always busy with class/clinical/studying.

Specializes in Oncology.

That sounds lovely! Guilt as a parent is never ending...it's always something or the other! Be gentle with yourself...sounds like you're doing great!

I agree with above. It doesn't have to be expensive to have a good birthday celebration. Let him help you make a cake. Spend some time together at a park, the zoo, whatever y'all enjoy. I've been tight on cash for a lot of my motherhood, and it's absolutely possible to have a good time on a tight budget. Happy birthday little guy!

KThurmond

636 Posts

I agree with above. It doesn't have to be expensive to have a good birthday celebration. Let him help you make a cake. Spend some time together at a park, the zoo, whatever y'all enjoy. I've been tight on cash for a lot of my motherhood, and it's absolutely possible to have a good time on a tight budget. Happy birthday little guy!

Thank you. That sounds fun

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I agree with everyone here, a special time with you and baking a cake together. I'm not a baker, but when my children were small they liked making an "ice cream cake" with me. We unwrapped ice cream sandwiches and layered them in a baking dish with cool whip, top layer of cool whip and rainbow sprinkles!!! They were so proud of their cakes!!! Happy Birthday to your little one.

KThurmond

636 Posts

I agree with everyone here, a special time with you and baking a cake together. I'm not a baker, but when my children were small they liked making an "ice cream cake" with me. We unwrapped ice cream sandwichees and layered them in a baking dish with cool whip, top layer of cool whip and rainbow sprinkles!!! They were so proud of their cakes!!! Happy Birthday to your little one.

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I will try to bake a cake with him. I tried baking cookies a few months ago and he lost interest pretty quick. His daycare said I can bring in cupcakes for the kids to eat that day as snack. I'm thinking about getting dinosaur toppers and having dinosaur cupcakes

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

A 3 yr old has no expectations. ;) Cake in any form -- Wal Mart bakery, box mix and canned icing, cupcakes, whatever -- three candles and some balloons, and "Happy Birthday to You" ... and he'll be thrilled!

KThurmond

636 Posts

A 3 yr old has no expectations. ;) Cake in any form -- Wal Mart bakery, box mix and canned icing, cupcakes, whatever -- three candles and some balloons, and "Happy Birthday to You" ... and he'll be thrilled!

Thank you. Sorry for the late response, summer semester is sink or swim.

UPDATE: I happened to stumble upon dinosaur party supplies at 5 bel°w. I was happy because he is obsessed with T-Rex and Triceratops. I used a gift card from Amazon to order a dinosaur dvd. That is his big thing and I picked up a few things at dollar tree. I'm baking a boxed cake with store bought letters. The party will be a small thing at the house.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

Have a wonderful time with your little one.

+ Add a Comment