INSTANT MOM

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School.

We rec'd a call that a Little Darling had collapsed in the hallway. I grab my emergency bag and call for the other nurse to get the wheelchair and meet me. When I get there I see LD sitting in the hallway who has recently been diagnosed with panic/anxiety. I tried to get her to slow her breathing but she would not respond to command. The only thing for me she responded to was "to do what the dr. showed her to do (which was cover her mouth and breath) When the other nurse got there (not even a full minute) she was asking why she was doing that and then instructed LD to move her hands and breath through her nose, which LD does. LD responded to other nurse's commands and we were able to get her to the nurse's office via wheelchair. A heartbeat after we got student to the nurse's office, poof, mom is here. Instant Mom. We had not even begun to examine LD. The rest of the story is LD is fine and back in class. (oh, when the other nurse asked what LD pulse was I could not tell her. I didn't have my watch on and my pulse ox was dead.)

I don't know why that has upset me so, but it has. I have taken the way the other nurse talked to me WAY to much to heart. We talked about it afterwards and she was not upset or thought I needed to do anything else. She really doesn't think it is a big deal, but now my mind is all over the place about it.

Thanks for letting me ramble. So ready for May 31st.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I'm reading the other nurse asked you what LD's pulse was when she was in the hallway. Your subconscious assessment already told you she was awake, alert, breathing on her own, in an apparent anxiety episode, with no apparent reason to call EMS. So why would you do a set of vitals on her sitting in the hall? I promise you she was tachycardic, duh, what a revelation. So you got her back to the clinic, in a more controlled environment, to perform a thorough assessment, magic mom instantly appears to save the day, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Forget about it.

But you lost me with the last paragraph.

Specializes in School.
I'm reading the other nurse asked you what LD's pulse was when she was in the hallway. Your subconscious assessment already told you she was awake, alert, breathing on her own, in an apparent anxiety episode, with no apparent reason to call EMS. So why would you do a set of vitals on her sitting in the hall? I promise you she was tachycardic, duh, what a revelation. So you got her back to the clinic, in a more controlled environment, to perform a thorough assessment, magic mom instantly appears to save the day, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Forget about it.

But you lost me with the last paragraph.

Thanks, OD. Took the last paragraph out. Would have to go into way to much detail to clear up that mess.

Again, ready for the bell to ring on May 31st.

Forget about it.

You phrased this so well. Nicely done.

Specializes in School Nursing.

You did what you could with what you have.

Ten bucks says if a non-medical staff member saw this event that they'd be singing your praises and quick-thinking.

We're always our harshest critic.

Specializes in School health, pediatrics.

I'm sorry you are upset over this. I tend to overthink everything about interactions, especially in stressful situations. I bet the other nurse never thinks twice about it.

Specializes in School.
I'm sorry you are upset over this. I tend to overthink everything about interactions, especially in stressful situations. I bet the other nurse never thinks twice about it.

You are right. Nurse #2 was fine with everything. It's just been a very stressful couple of days. But all is well.

Thank you.

Specializes in School Nurse.

You know what, it was her opinion.

Just like an a**hol3 - everyone's got one.

Specializes in NCSN.
You are right. Nurse #2 was fine with everything. It's just been a very stressful couple of days. But all is well.

Thank you.

We are almost at the end! I've been a bit more sensitive lately too because it's been chaotic at times here.

I hope you have a very restful summer!

Specializes in Varied.

You did great! Assessed the situation appropriately.

I recently got really down on myself over something someone said to me about a nursing task I had done. I began to question if even nursing was for me, why did I do this, do I have the correct judgement, so on so on. I literally lived in my head going back and fourth over the situation trying to seek advice etc. but the reality is we are humans and we are going to make mistakes. Just don't let it cost someone their life of course. I'm a strong believer in things happen for a reason and mistakes are made so we can learn and become better and more experienced at what we do. This situation my seem big to you and make you feel not so good bits it's minute. Charge up your pulse ox. I honestly don't know if this was needed. Since she was awake and breathing not changing colors. If you can I know things move very fast in stressful situations try to slow it down so you can think clearly. I've learned this with my experience in nursing. Quit letting it get to you. Move on and cheer up! No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
II honestly don't know if this was needed. Since she was awake and breathing not changing colors. Quit letting it get to you. Move on and cheer up! No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

AMEN!! To both those thoughts.

A good nurse trouble-shoots his/her actions after an event. Just don't let this go on permanent loop in your head, right?

+ Add a Comment