Hoping to commiserate

Specialties Travel

Published

I'm just curious if there's anyone out there who shares my feelings. Maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself, or in a career slump, or just tired (I am). I've been a RN for going on 26 years and a travel nurse for about a year now (4 assignments). In my opinion, travel nursing really is not as glamorous as it seems and while the money is better than staff nursing, trust me, it is not as good as most think. While I have been to areas that I probably wouldn't have visited otherwise, I've discovered that premium assignments to really desirable areas are pretty rare. When beginning an assignment, there's the trouble of finding your way around a foreign area, learning completely different policies, protocols, and processes, as well as having new coworkers talk down to you and management that treat you like a commodity (or worse). Finally, there's the ever present worry of securing your next contract in 3 months and possibly having a breakdown on the road or a whole host of other hiccups that are common to this lifestyle. I know everything in life is relative and what you make of it, but at age 52, I wonder if this is really for me.

Ruby Vee, BSN

17 Articles; 14,030 Posts

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Some love it. Others don't. I didn't care for always being the new person or the assumption that I didn't know anything. I lasted precisely one assignment before going on staff, buying a house and settling down. But I'm glad I tried it.

Argo

1,221 Posts

Specializes in Peri-Op.

Whats a desirable location for you? Im sure its different for me. I desire highest pay for least hours worked.

Im OR, dont travel as cvor, and have taken home 2500-3000 a week on 36 hours for 2 years.

As for worry about the next assignment.... you need to have savings to last for 3 months at a minimum. It gives you more freedom to cherry pick your next assignment.

NedRN

1 Article; 5,773 Posts

The money doesn't matter, if you don't enjoy travel as a mode of work, don't do it! It is certainly a challenge.

Specializes in CVICU, ER, Education.

Travel is not for everyone. I started travel nursing with two friends and both went back to permanent staff. I enjoy the traveling and do not mind being the new person on every assignment. By the end, I always make friends with the managers and co-workers. Sometimes, its nice to return to where I was worked and work another contract if I enjoyed it.

+ Add a Comment