C grade determine capability

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Does getting C's in A&P 1 and 2 determine how good you will do in nursing. I have a friend that I met in school while doing prerequisites. We both got into the nursing program for next semester. She's starting to doubt herself on if she's capable of getting through nursing just because she got a C in both. I don't know what words of encouragement to give her to ease her fear!!!

Well, you got a C in at least one of them too, right? Hopefully, you'll both pass together. I have no way to see the future, though. You're going to have to create your own destiny.

Specializes in Mental Health.

So my AP teacher was really into stats about this very topic. According to him, 100% of people that managed an A in his classes (both I and II) were able to finish the nursing program successfully. Of people who got C's, it dropped to about 50%. Using those stats, it's obviously possible, but you're going to want to figure out what your weaknesses are and make some changes.

I don't know about your school, but on a 50 question test where I am, the difference between an A and a C is about 5 wrong answers and usually just a matter of not studying quite right.

Well, you got a C in at least one of them too, right? Hopefully, you'll both pass together. I have no way to see the future, though. You're going to have to create your own destiny.

I believe my study habits is my issue which I'm working on. I guess if she finds out what her issues were she could probably figure out a solution to help

Specializes in Cardiac Telemetry, ICU.

The majority of the time, yes, it can at least indicate something is wrong with your studying habits and/or mindset regarding learning. From my experience, the students that struggle are the ones that go into nursing or nursing prerequisites with a mindset of wanting to learn the bare minimum to get by, the procrastinators (usually fall into the previous category too), or the ones spending more time attempting to cut corners than just sitting down and accepting they WILL have to read an entire chapter per day sometimes. I've seen students sifting through disorganized PowerPoint slides because they "don't have the time to read the book," yet I've sat next to them and finished the entire chapter while they're still going through slides and complaining. Accept that you'll have to become more disciplined, you'll have to sacrifice time with friends and family, and don't scoff at understanding pathophysiology on a cellular level because you don't understand why it'll be useful later on yet.

Sometimes people don't need words of encouragement. Instead, they need a swift kick in the behind to get them to where they want to be. Best of luck to you and your friend.

Specializes in SRNA.

I did well in A&P (A- and B) and I am doing fairly well in nursing school. A&P in undergrad went FAR more in-depth than nursing school. Trust me, your C will not translate to being a struggling student nurse. Nursing school (BSN) touches the surface of anatomy & physiology because we are not training to do surgery nor will we need to know the chemical reactions that occur at the cellular level attributed to a medication OR know which nerve innervates which muscle. For example, ACE inhibitors (lisinopril) lowers blood pressure because it inhibits the conversion of angiotensin I into A II (vasoconstrictor)...so what does ACE-Is do? They indirectly "causes" vasodilation. To go a bit further, patients who are on ACEIs are at risk for hypotension and are a falls risk. THAT is the extent of NS. It's more application than memorization. The only part where A&P really helped me understand a material in NS was when we were learning about heart failure and the different types of compensatory mechanisms (SNS system, renal system, and the heart itself).

If you listen and are an active learner (pre-read the powerpoint/lesson pages, participate and ask questions in class, and read every day in small bouts) you'll be fine.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

Keep all of your A&P notes and books and continue to study. You do need to understand A&P, and you will find yourself referring back to your A&P book throughout nursing school. Good luck to you.

+ Add a Comment