Ask the nurses to do cool stuff!!!!!

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am constantly amazed how many students just kinda go with the flow and get the minimum experience. You guys need to be asking to do stuff. If you haven't done something let the other nurses know. You will be surprised how many of them will find you cool stuff for you to do. I have been noticing a huge difference in proactive vs just follow the routine students lately. If it's coming to the end of the semester and you haven't done an IV or something TELL YOUR NURSE, let them know it doesn't have to be on your pt. We can call other floors and ask what they have going on, tell the charge, etc. But that doesn't happen if you don't ask!!!!!

We have all been in your place and will help if we can, but ya gota ask.

I am constantly amazed how many students just kinda go with the flow and get the minimum experience. You guys need to be asking to do stuff. If you haven't done something let the other nurses know. You will be surprised how many of them will find you cool stuff for you to do. I have been noticing a huge difference in proactive vs just follow the routine students lately. If it's coming to the end of the semester and you haven't done an IV or something TELL YOUR NURSE, let them know it doesn't have to be on your pt. We can call other floors and ask what they have going on, tell the charge, etc. But that doesn't happen if you don't ask!!!!!

We have all been in your place and will help if we can, but ya gota ask.

I agree ...just make sure that your instructor is OK with what you're participating in. I'll allow students to do almost anything with me present and involved, but their instructors have shown up a few times and stopped them in their tracks.

Specializes in Mental Health.

I'm in my first clinical and have been trying to get a urinary catheter - almost had three last time but all three peed right before they hit the bladder scan limit. LoL Even the charge nurse was trying to find one for me :p

I agree ...just make sure that your instructor is OK with what you're participating in. I'll allow students to do almost anything with me present and involved, but their instructors have shown up a few times and stopped them in their tracks.

I guess I expect them to know their "scope of practice". But in the morning when the instructor is prepping before the students get there I'll ask what semester they are and what they can do, so I'm not offering stuff I know they can't do.

I'm in my first clinical and have been trying to get a urinary catheter - almost had three last time but all three peed right before they hit the bladder scan limit. LoL Even the charge nurse was trying to find one for me :p

Ya, happens. That's why you gota be proactive every day and be the student that's always looking for something to do (but not annoying everybody).

A year from now you'll breath a sigh of relief when that pt actually pee's. haha

This is such great advice!! Thank you!!

If your instructor and the facility will let you, ask the ER or maybe the ICU if they can call you for any of these (assuming there's time for you to get there). Not so many catheters on the floors these days. I think an average FT floor nurse will insert a foley once a month on average I was told, whereas in the unit it's s daily thing.

Years ago, before they whole CAUTI thing, I remember inserting a few in a shift on many days. Almost everyone had a catheter. Now, as soon as it can come out, it's coming out.

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Absolutely agree with this. I have been able to remove a picc and help with removing a chest tube and jp because I asked. All great experiences that most of my classmates haven't done yet. All because I asked when I saw them on the orders for my patients. Don't be afraid!!!

+ Add a Comment