Accident Reports

Specialties School

Published

When as school nurses do we fill our accident reports? I shadowed a nurse who told me she "thinks" it should be filled out whenever the school

could be reliable for something. She also fills them

out even though she didn't witness the event happen. What's some examples when to fill out an accident report and do you still fill them our if you treated and not witnessed?

aprilmoss

266 Posts

Specializes in School Nurse.

Your school should have a policy. In our district, it has to be an administrator who ultimately fills it out, though I have my section if the student ended up with me for treatment as part of the incident. It gets filled out anytime there's a possibility of school liability or if a claim may be made to the students accident policy.

Just about "accidental" injury that requires either treatment by me or the child to be sent to a medical provider (or home) as a result gets one. Things like kids falling from playground equipment and needing treatment (had a bunch of those when I was at the elementary level). At high school, the last one i had was one of the drama club kids who cut his hand on something and needed a couple of stitches. A few sports injuries made it as well.

algae1492

84 Posts

When as school nurses do we fill our accident reports? I shadowed a nurse who told me she "thinks" it should be filled out whenever the school

could be reliable for something. She also fills them

out even though she didn't witness the event happen. What's some examples when to fill out an accident report and do you still fill them our if you treated and not witnessed?

The district I work in has an electronic health record. There's always the opportunity to log an illness or injury. Any transfers w/ paramedics or severe health concerns, I will create district incident report. Status epilepticus, severe allergy, and district facilities injury are examples of incident reports I will log for support from the district as they tend to require a collaborative effort.

Specializes in School nursing.

I fill out an ambulance/incident report when I call 911 (as well as log it in my EMR). I have tried to get teachers to fill out accident reports, but it never happens.

I have my CDC paperwork I fill out for concussion referrals as well.

ruby_jane, BSN, RN

3,142 Posts

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

In addition to the EHR, I complete a student injury report developed by my district. I learned two years ago that I needed to complete them retroactively as well as in real time - kid with head injury not reported until a day later had a whopper of a concussion. Parent called the risk manager wanting school to pay for treatment (we don't) and she called me wanting to know where the report was...

In addition to the student injury report we have a separate form I'd log CPR/major injury first aid - it's basically a vitals sheet where I can write vitals, when EMS was called, when they arrived ,etc. It's not absolutely necessary but it is a good reminder and convenient if I need it. Otherwise I'm writing on my hand or any scratch paper I can find.

Specializes in School nursing.
In addition to the EHR, I complete a student injury report developed by my district. I learned two years ago that I needed to complete them retroactively as well as in real time - kid with head injury not reported until a day later had a whopper of a concussion. Parent called the risk manager wanting school to pay for treatment (we don't) and she called me wanting to know where the report was...

In addition to the student injury report we have a separate form I'd log CPR/major injury first aid - it's basically a vitals sheet where I can write vitals, when EMS was called, when they arrived ,etc. It's not absolutely necessary but it is a good reminder and convenient if I need it. Otherwise I'm writing on my hand or any scratch paper I can find.

Oooo, I love the vitals sheet idea! I have been making a copy of the student's health emergency form and attaching a large sticky with vitals on it for hand off to EMS.

ABRN2012

135 Posts

In my district we fill one out for anything other than minor cuts or scrapes. It is not filled out by the nurse. It is filled out by whoever was in supposed to be watching the student when it occurred. There is a part I can put provided first aid or called ambulance ect. Then it is given to an administrator to sign off and file.

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics.

In my district, the person who witnessed the accident fills it out (at least that is what is supposed to happen). I have my own separate report to do for nursing, as well as log it in the EMR.

I should add, anytime I have to fill one out that I didn't see, I say that I did NOT witness it and it was witnessed by another staff member. At my previous school the principal used to make me fill them out, and I would write "asked to fill this form out by principal, I did not witness event, this what I was told....". (But that is a long story!)

NutmeggeRN, BSN

2 Articles; 4,620 Posts

Specializes in kids.

Any head injury

Any outside referral

Any facial injury

Anything that may involve another student

Anything that may involve discipline

Anything with defective equipment

Anything related to maintenance (unshoveled area, ice etc)

When your gut tells you to!

Specializes in M.Ed., BSN, CSN.

I'm new to my district this year and when I came on board, I asked for some guidelines as they had no policy in place. I was told, "do an an incident report for anything that requires more than a bandaid."

Ummmm...ok...

+ Add a Comment