Need ideas for safe Insect repellent

Nurses Recovery

Published

I'm about to go camping mid May and picked our site today. Also picked two ticks off myself by the time we were done. I usually use cinnamon when I'm fishing, but I don't think that will cut it in these woods. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I live in Texas too. Educate me please, what are you worried about in commercial insect repellants?

Cigars in the Army used to work. Bugs hate smoke but I don't know how appealing that idea is to you

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Oregano oil or citronella oil in a spray bottle with water shake and spray on exposed areas. Also if you get ticks coat them with mineral oil and the little buggers back right out. I have been using the diluted plant oils on my dogs for years.

Hppy

I've used whatever insect spray is available, never had a problem.

Picaridin. Developed in Europe while the US stuck with Deet. Proven effective against ticks and mosquitoes.

Insect repellents are on the do-not-use list

They contain alcohol. They can test positive for EtG

I enjoy a good cigar now and then.

LOL!!! I'd rather do a cigar now than have a glass of wine!!! But it's still so stupid we have to worry about things like laundry detergent and bug spray! Hmmmm..... I can't drink so I think I'll huff a can of Raid!!!:) Yeah, I know there are folks out there who will do ANYTHING to get high. But I really believe that most of this is because the monitoring programs are kinda lazy and don't want to differentiate between an alcohol from a weekend binge and someone who may have to get a can of Deep Woods Off to keep from getting Lyme disease.

Kel65,

I apologise. Saw this topic pop up and didn't realize it was under the recovery subforum.

Let me just say I sympathize and find it ridiculous that you can't even use bug repellent with out being accused of using or drinking. That's ridiculous.

Specializes in Critical care.

Skin So Soft by Avon

Apple Cider Vinegar

Lavender essential oil

Lots of Beer (Drunk mosquitoes aim poorly, and you don't care if you get bit)

Feed your fellow campers high salt food, they like salty blood

Cheers

Again, we are in the infinity loop of products that may(or may not) be OK. So even though Avon Skin So Soft is not on the Talbot Guide (and I used this product religiously while growing up), I googled the ingredient list. Kinda scary. Its anywhere from 5-35% alcohol...so beware, and read product labels like your life depends on it, because it really does!.

+ Add a Comment