RN should I do PA/NP?

Nurses Career Support

Published

1. What would you choose if you were me?

• PA
      FNP
      AGACNP

1 member has participated

Hello everyone!! Little back story I'm 25 years old I completed my LPN at 18 my RN at 19 and my BSN at 22. Ive worked in the OR for the last 4 doing primarily general surgery and robotics. Prior to that I worked on med/surg, SCU, and slight cross train to the ED. I've also worked in a community home for disabled adults. I've gotten into a DNP program in the neighboring state to me, but I'm having a lot of doubts. I'm having trouble because NPs have to specialize so much and I'm finding that FNP and AGACNP route both can be limiting. I didn't like the vibe of the program I got accepted into and I feel like PA school does a much better job at preparing mid levels to practice after school. PAs also have the ability to move between specialities and age groups more easily. I will have to complete my science courses prior to applying to the PA program. I need help!

Some of the down falls that I've found with NP school is: the surgical specialty is aimed more at PAs (which I still may be interested in surgery as a NP/PA), I would prefer to learn under the medical model vs the nursing model, most NP programs have you find your own preceptors so I feel like that puts students in a hard place and good preceptors are hard to find and a lot of your clinical training you get only what your preceptor can offer, with NP you have to specialize... I don't have an interest in working much primary care (at this point), but want to take care of all age groups so you'd think FNP would be the way to go, but they are loosing more rights to work inpatient (in some areas) and surgery would have a lot of inpatient work (rounds, etc.) so then it gets you to AGACNP, but these providers can only take care of people 13 and up so that limits you because most surgeons will do some pediatrics. It just seems like theres more area for lateral mobility as a PA.. but it's hard because I could be done in 4 years in this program (part time while working) or take my pre reqs for 1-2 years plus 2 years of PA school (if I get in first round of applications). I just want to be a good provider and want to be as prepared as I can be because providing quality care for patients is such a important responsibility (as all of you very well know!).

+ Add a Comment