New Student Seizures

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nursing.

Good Morning All! How would you handle this situation:

New student enrolling from another state. Parent did not mention while enrolling student has epilepsy. On the student's second day of school, as I was going through his folder (after teacher said she saw 'something about seizures') it was noted from the prior school student had epilepsy and had a generic action plan on file.

I called mom who confirmed he did have epilepsy, but she said he'd never had a prescription for distat or any emergency med, and that doctors have never given her an action plan for school, just verbal directions. She said he's only once had a seizure lasting over 5 minutes, for which she did call 911 and have him taken to the ER, even then she said nobody has ever prescribed distat. Being new to the state, she has not found a doctor here!

Since calling her yesterday, he's had 2 partial seizures in school. I gave her paperwork so I can get actual medical documentation on file (and hopefully a individualized e-plan from doc) and e-meds in place. In the meantime I have put together packets with our districts e-plan (which mom has signed and had a small in-service with all the teachers that have contact with the student on this plan). Is there anything else you'd do at this point?

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Sounds plenty thorough for what you can actually "do" about it. Just be firm and confident if that "bell rings" for calling EMS.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Can we all say in unison DENIAL?

Specializes in NCSN.
Sounds plenty thorough for what you can actually "do" about it. Just be firm and confident if that "bell rings" for calling EMS.

This^^

I have a few students with seizure disorders where the parents historically throw fits at the start of each school year over needed to bring in Diastat. After 2 weeks I send home a letter making it clear that without an updated EAP and the distat I will be calling 911 for any seizure activity here at school. It's AMAZING how fast everything comes in after that.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Been a while since I brought this up. When parents are a little too laid back about giving me the tools necessary to save their child's life, I send the following.

EMS response time per the local firehouse is 10 minutes, best. The human body can only tolerate four minutes without oxygen. This normally expedites compliance. I do not want to be put in a situation where I know what to do without the proper tools if I can help it.

Specializes in School Nursing.
Been a while since I brought this up. When parents are a little too laid back about giving me the tools necessary to save their child's life, I send the following.

EMS response time per the local firehouse is 10 minutes, best. The human body can only tolerate four minutes without oxygen. This normally expedites compliance. I do not want to be put in a situation where I know what to do without the proper tools if I can help it.

This is a great approach. Is it possible that he's made it to 8 years old without ever having a doc prescribe Distat for epilepsy?

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
This is a great approach. Is it possible that he's made it to 8 years old without ever having a doc prescribe Distat for epilepsy?

Unlikely...highly unlikely...

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i currently have 4 students known to have seizures in my school. I have seizure action plans on 2 of them and only have diastat on one. In the past 2 weeks, I have had the parents of the other 2 come for seizure action plan blanks (both HAD them at some point, but I can only ask so many times) so that tells me their seizures have been getting more frequent at home and I have a good chance of maybe encountering seizure activity here. No plan = 9-1-1.

And it's not like it's hard to get my forms. They're online, I have printouts in my office, i can email them, i've sent them home, it's a matter of getting them back. I just chart all of the discussions. Chart when i've given a form and finally chart once the plan comes in.

for those interested or looking for something here's the seizure action plan i use from the epilepsy foundation: https://www.epilepsy.com/sites/core/files/atoms/files/seizure-action-plan-pdf_0.pdf

I'd imagine a lot of us use this one

DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!! Note that you have contacted the PARENT in r/t needing diastat and MD orders, Not YOUR job to get the Diastat at CVS and get MD order, its her job.

call 911, keep child safe until they arrive.. your hands are tied. all communication should be via email with your principal copied on it. Papertrail with save your butt

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Thankfully nothing in our school. *knock on wood*

We have two potential epilepsy students, one has been in remission for more than 2 years, and another one is super rare to get it, but I have his medication in my emergency cabinet, just in case.

Specializes in Med Surg, Tele, School Nurse, EMT/FF.
Can we all say in unison DENIAL?

I have a newly diagnosed epilepsy student. Parents adamant that we do not tell the student he has this issue. I do have diastat in my office that the teachers are aware of. When asking the parents about home meds they stated they told him his seizure med is just a vitamin :banghead:

I have a newly diagnosed epilepsy student. Parents adamant that we do not tell the student he has this issue. I do have diastat in my office that the teachers are aware of. When asking the parents about home meds they stated they told him his seizure med is just a vitamin :banghead:

I don't even know what to say to that one. :wideyed:

+ Add a Comment