How much do new psych nurses make?

Specialties Psychiatric

Published

1. How much do new nurses working in psych make?

$26/hr
      $27/hr
      $28/hr
      $29/hr
      $30/hr

1 member has participated

Less than one year of experience, how much do new nurses working in psych specialty make? Does it depend on the type of place you work or whether you work in a hospital? If anyone can help me get a baseline that would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Hello nina12345

We moved your thread to the Psychiatric Nursing forum for the best response.

It's simply impossible to say.

It depends on your state and it depends on the city within your state. It depends on the saturation of the job market you are working in. It depends on whether you work inpatient or not. It depends on your employer. Profit versus non-profit. Are they financially secure?

Across the USA, I imagine it could be anywhere from $17 an hour to $40 for the new grad.

I mean, are you working in the heart of NYC where you have an insane cost of living and the pay needs to support that, or are you working in the rural south where making $20 as a new grad would be stellar and rent for a studio apartment only runs $300 a month?

There is just zero way to answer that question without asking some personal questions of you.

Honestly, a new psych grad working inpatient in a hospital is going to make the same salary as other routine inpatient units. Usually the ICUs are the ones that receive premium pay. Psych clinic nurses will make what a routine clinic nurses will make, yada, yada, yada.

I worked some form of ICU or another most my career and I will say that I took a pay cut going to inpatient psych...but I also lost my ICU incentive.

I will say that where I live in Mid-Eastern Suburbia, USA, $26 an hour for a new grad anywhere would be pretty high. That's why location and the market saturation matters.

I would honestly perform a google search of your desired area and go from there.

+ Add a Comment