Switch to elementary?

Specialties School

Published

I had an interview yesterday at an elementary school in another district that's two miles from my house!

Y'all know I love the teenagers. Next year I will have 2600 of them and there's no relief any time soon (district is just now building the elementary campuses to hold all the new arrivals and it will be at least four years before a new high school shows up).

The elementary building is 30 years old and the clinic is small. The really great nurse left two years ago for district advancement; the Health Services director seems awesome and doesn't have the issues of playing fast and loose with the truth that bother me about my current boss. The had an interim nurse last year who was "a bad fit" (that's been said twice) and a replacement nurse that got sick. The principal seems darling and he wanted me to know that he wants everyone "to assume the positive" about their co-workers. I know some of the PTA moms since it's the same district my kid attends.

I'm swapping lower numbers for more screenings. I have some experience with summer campers grades 2 and up in fairly intense two-week sessions.

What else should I be considering? I am afraid my rose-colored glasses are only seeing the 750 kiddos and that two mile commute!

I am in PK-6 and always say I can't imagine going anywhere other than Elementary. I love the kids at these young ages. Certainly the smaller school size sounds huge to me too but then again I have 100 kids here so I'm clueless about big schools. Good luck with your decision!

Specializes in NCSN.
All the elementary nurses: "One of us! One of us! One of us!"

Pretty Much!!

Total care vs students with some autonomy/self-help.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Total care vs students with some autonomy/self-help.

See...this is what I need to hear. Rose-colored glasses...

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Any word yet?

Specializes in School Nursing.
Any word yet?

(continued whispered chanting) "One of us! One of us!" :roflmao:

No word. But I am unworried. Things work out the way they work out (whether I worry or not).

Specializes in NCSN.
No word. But I am unworried. Things work out the way they work out (whether I worry or not).

Ruby you are so very wise.

We should start an inspirational poster line to go with our t-shirt line

OK so I did not end up getting this job, and it made me sad for a good five minutes but... things work out the way they work out, right?

The really fabulous principal left mid year "to take some time for himself" per another principal with whom I sit on a dozen committees and such.

There has been some friction in the health office with the nurse who was chosen and the extremely well-trained lay person there (per one of the moms I know, whose kid visits episodically for a medical condition).

Things work out!!!!

I'd take it - of course I am an elementary school nurse and always will be - I like this age group the best. Plus you are so close to home - I live in the same neighborhood as my school and will walk or ride my bike on nice days.

It sounds like you will have great support if you have an aid and a screen team to help. even if you had to screen the kids yourself - it is doable - I have 750 k-5 and do my own screenings - I take my time and start in August with 5th grade and work my way down to Kinder with my goal to be done with them by Thanksgiving break.

Good Luck to whatever you decide!

I landed in a PreK-7, 600-kid school in a different district this year. So far, so good!!!

Specializes in NCSN.
3 hours ago, ruby_jane said:

I landed in a PreK-7, 600-kid school in a different district this year. So far, so good!!!

600 sounds so much better than over a 1000. ?

+ Add a Comment