NP move from NYC to GA. Need advice

Specialties Advanced

Published

Specializes in Critical Care.

I am an FNP with a year and a half experience that is considering moving from the east coast to Georgia within the next 6 months. I am reaching out to NPs with experience working in Georgia who can provide some feedback on what it is like working as an NP in Georgia. I understand that Georgia is a restricted practice state for NPs. How do these restrictions affect your practice? Do you feel respected? Do you have autonomy? What are the salary expectations? Anyone one have experience working at Emory or Piedmont? Are FNPs allowed to work in ICU settings? What are the salaries offered and work-life balance etc?

I have been applying for jobs in the ATL for the past 2 months but have not gotten any callbacks. Does anyone have contact information for any good local (GA) APP/APRN recruiters?

Thanks for your responses.

I am an FNP with a year and a half experience that is considering moving from the east coast to Georgia within the next 6 months. I am reaching out to NPs with experience working in Georgia who can provide some feedback on what it is like working as an NP in Georgia. I understand that Georgia is a restricted practice state for NPs. How do these restrictions affect your practice? Do you feel respected? Do you have autonomy? What are the salary expectations? Anyone one have experience working at Emory or Piedmont? Are FNPs allowed to work in ICU settings? What are the salaries offered and work-life balance etc?

I have been applying for jobs in the ATL for the past 2 months but have not gotten any callbacks. Does anyone have contact information for any good local (GA) APP/APRN recruiters?

Thanks for your responses.

One of the many problems with jobs in ATL is getting through HR. You really need to know someone to walk it through or get lucky. I can't really comment on practice environments generally but you get a lot of autonomy if you get the right place. As for FNPs Emory won't hire them for the ICU and is moving away for inpatient work. For ICUs same of Piedmont and Wellstar.

Thank you Core0. You are right. Getting a recruiter from Emory or Piedmont to return my call or email has been an impossible feat. Do you know what is the average salary being offered for Georgia NPs with 1+ experience ?

Thank you Core0. You are right. Getting a recruiter from Emory or Piedmont to return my call or email has been an impossible feat. Do you know what is the average salary being offered for Georgia NPs with 1+ experience ?

I don't really know for FNPs. I only work on the inpatient side. Its pretty easy to make six figures with differentials. Also beware that for some hospitals the pay looks good but you work seven on seven off with no PTO.

Thanks for your feedback. There are jobs that offer from118-140K+ on the east coast. My intention is not to take a massive pay cut moving from the east coast. However, I did not want to be rejected based on submitting unrealistic salary expectation. What is the ballpark figure for GA NPs with 1 1/2 experience as NP and over 15 years of critical care RN experience or just in general?

Unless I am looking at my map incorrectly, Georgia is on the east coast.

Unless I am looking at my map incorrectly, Georgia is on the east coast.

It is, but there's no way OP is going to make 140k there.

Specializes in Varied.

The south generally pays less, no matter where you go.

I will say, just what I know of from NPs I have worked with in ER and urgent care, they are making around $110-120k after bonuses, but that is in northwest Georgia, not the coast. However, I suspect the cost of living will likely also be lower than NY so definitely take that into account.

Thanks, Rleg85

When you apply from out of state, is there an expectation you should already have a license? I run into this issue a lot applying to jobs out of state with employers expecting me to have a state license already to get fair review. My thinking is, if I get the job I will move, I won't move if I don't so why I apply for the license. Are any of you running into this issue? If so, how do you get around it?

When you apply from out of state, is there an expectation you should already have a license? I run into this issue a lot applying to jobs out of state with employers expecting me to have a state license already to get fair review. My thinking is, if I get the job I will move, I won't move if I don't so why I apply for the license. Are any of you running into this issue? If so, how do you get around it?

I've never heard of a state that requires an in state address to get a license. If you are serious about a job, it's a good idea to have a license in that state ahead of time or in the process. Especially in states where the wait is lengthy such as California. while this can be costly in nation wide searches, it narrows down your chances by a broad margin.

+ Add a Comment