Salary expectations for Bay Area (San Jose/ Cupertino)

Specialties Advanced

Published

Can anyone answer this question about salary expectations in Bay Area? I am not familiar with Bay Area compensation. I am getting an offer from a private practice to do primary care in Cupertino, CA. This is for 4 days a week, no call. Compensation includes 161k with a 10% annual bonus, 3500 CME, 18 PTO days starting, 401k.

I have 5 years of experience as a NP with 2.5 years of experience in primary care.

FullGlass, BSN, MSN, NP

2 Articles; 1,726 Posts

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

This sounds like good compensation for the area. However, be sure to research the cost of living, which is very high, to determine if you still want this job. Good luck.

guest416560

357 Posts

Based on my personal observations that is low for the Bay Area. Remember, the average house price is now over $1,000,000. You would have a hard time surviving on that income.

Advanced Practice Columnist / Guide

Corey Narry, MSN, RN, NP

8 Articles; 4,362 Posts

Specializes in ACNP-BC, Adult Critical Care, Cardiology.

I live in the Bay Area and though that figure is on the low end for an NP with 5 years experience, I don't find it surprising and think that this may even be standard for private practice. Yes, the average price of a home is about a million dollars (especially in Cupertino) but most NP's I know who own a home are part of a double income relationship (i.e., married to someone who makes the same amount or more) and have just one child or no children at all.

As a single person with that income, one can survive by renting a place (average for 1 bedroom is around $2500-3000/month) and being frugal or sharing rent with others so you can splurge on other things you enjoy. One thing about renting is even finding a place to rent can be competitive so before moving, make sure everything is in place including a signed lease. You are competing with young people moving from out of state to work for Google or Apple and they make more money than you. Having said that, there are lots of opportunities to have a fun lifestyle in this area no matter what time of year.

+ Add a Comment