Lice... why lice?

Specialties School

Updated:   Published

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Basically put, I got told that a Kinder student had lice. So I had to check that class, which is fine. But the teacher was demanding I check 1st grade and such because they were together ONCE outside. I tried to explain that lice don't jump or fly to anyone, only if the children jump on themselves and rub each other's head or share jackets, no way it can happen. She got on my case and told me it's my job and I should do it. I'm like, it's my job, but I'm not going to check all the classes just because of ONE student. As OD said, you are not going to check for fevers just because of one student having a fever.Then I'm told this student had a sibling in 4th grade, so guess who has to check ALL of 4th grade now? THIS ONE!

It's like, HOW CAN I PUT IT IN THEIR TINY HEADS, I DO NOT NEED TO CHECK EVERY CHILD FOR LICE!?!?!

Rant over.

1 Votes

I don't know. Just popping in to say I LOVE that we have 500 active lice threads right now.

1 Votes
Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I question a district that doesn't have a solid, best-practice policy about lice and won't support the nursing and ancillary staff as they try to make it through the day.

1 Votes
Specializes in School Nursing.

I've sent this to people before. I'll literally print it out and put it in their front office mailboxes

https://www.pediatricnursing.net/ce/2016/article4005226235.pdf

There's always cranky pants people, to which I shrug a bit since the principal supports my decisions so I direct them to him. No one ever actually goes to him.

1 Votes
Farawyn said:
I don't know. Just popping in to say I LOVE that we have 500 active lice threads right now.

It's a conspiracy! Like legit, NO CASES ALL YEAR, except ONE during the fall, and that became a Lice witch hunt and now it's this semester, ONE kid? UGGGGGHHHHHHH! ?

1 Votes
Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

My best advice to help survive all the crazies- S.U.M.M.E.R. Hang in there, educate anyone that will listen, and rest in the fact that tomorrow will be a new day (and probably have something different that is just a little "crazy" :)

1 Votes
Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.
Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.
LikeTheDeadSea said:
I've sent this to people before. I'll literally print it out and put it in their front office mailboxes

There's always cranky pants people, to which I shrug a bit since the principal supports my decisions so I direct them to him. No one ever actually goes to him.

My go to...

1 Votes
LikeTheDeadSea said:

I love this.

1 Votes
Specializes in School nursing.
Farawyn said:
I love this.

Me too! The chart is the best.

1 Votes
Cattz said:
My best advice to help survive all the crazies- S.U.M.M.E.R. Hang in there, educate anyone that will listen, and rest in the fact that tomorrow will be a new day (and probably have something different that is just a little "crazy" ?

Yeah I know. I just needed to vent. ?

Honestly, if I handed this out, I don't think it will fare well. But as I said, my lice crazy AP is leaving this year, so I'm hoping *PRAYING* that this new AP will go on my side and be like, NOPE! Just protocol checking and dat it!

1 Votes
Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.
LikeTheDeadSea said:

Thank you for sharing this! I will use it in the future ?

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment