Advice on family and career

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Mods, please move to the appropriate forum if needed.

Im a mom of 3. My 2 year old has recently been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum. They recommend intensive therapy asap to help improve outcomes. I was expecting the diagnosis, so it wasn't a huge shock. I also have experience working with kids with autism.

I worked nights and finally got a day shift clinic position. It's not full time but I'm ok with that (my oldest is 4 so my children are young) and my husband works and makes decent money. For autism therapy, the majority are home based up to 30 hours a week. The only clinic based option is at a center and inconvenient hours (like 8-2 or something). Someone needs to be home with him during therapy. Hubby is in the business field so his job is regular business hours plus we have insurance through his job.

Should I quit my clinic job then? I'm still in orientation and my state is "at will." I just don't want to be viewed as a job hopper. But I know job hopping tends to be a bit more common in nursing. (Another nurse who was hired with me at this job was at her last for only 6 months). My son wouldn't be able to start therapy until the summer anyway, and that's around when I'd be off orientation (if all went well). If I quit, should I give

notice now or wait? I'd feel guilty if I went through orientation only to quit shortly after. Should I get a night shift or PRN job first before quitting then? I'm just overwhelmed. Anybody been in my boat, I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

My daughter is in a similar boat. But he was their first born. It seems more complicated with two older siblings.

She and her husband both work 8 - 5. Their first day care was a woman with ??? maybe 6 kids? She was very supportive to my grandson, and was happy to have the therapists come to her house for ??? about 2 hours 2 - 3 times a week. The therapists worked independently with him. The caregiver did not have to do much more than see they had an area, corner, of her house to work in, and could keep a plastic box with some supplies they used with him in it.

When he was to old for the first day care they found babysitters to come to their house. The babysitters were great, loved working with the therapists and learning how to interact with grandson. The babysitters would take him to visits at the physical therapy clinic, etc.

They live in a large city with several universities. Found several babysitters through an agency who were studying nursing or child development, and loved working with a challenged child and learning from the therapists.

I am making it sound like sunshine and lollipops. It wasn't. There were many trials and tribulations. I and the other grandmother had to make emergency visits,(neither one of us lives super close) to be the fill in when the babysitters moved, changed jobs, etc.

Do you have family in the area?

Needless to say I'm sorry for what you are going through.

Absolutely quit if the therapy is incompatible with your job. The early years are important, and it sounds like you can make due without the money. I would give customary notice of two weeks and offer to stay on per diem if it works for you and might be beneficial for them. Don't give notice that's too advanced. It sounds like you're not sure about the therapy hours or start date ...and they probably wouldn't hesitate to let you go with the same amount of short notice if they no longer needed you.

Thank you both. I have some family in the area but they're all working/school during regular business hours. The therapy would start in June. I was leaning toward quitting and I think as it gets closer, I will give the customary notice and quit. I can always get another job and make more $, but early intervention is so crucial for little ones.

Thanks for the tips/story.

PRN work on a weekend would give you flexibility while keeping you in nursing and making money.

Even if you only worked a weekend day every other weekend, that would be enough to keep up your skills for the time in the future when you go back full-time.

Yes thank you. I've thought about doing agency work or per diem at a nursing home on weekends. I know a couple that are hiring for per diem. And possibly working in corrections as well, since I have worked psych and dealt with similar patients. I know I couldn't be a stay at home mom full time, I'd go nuts. Kudos to those who can, but it's just not me.

Thanks for reading&replying.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

What was your original plan for your son while you are at work? Was he going to be in daycare? You don't have to change that. Early intervention goes to daycare just as frequently as they go to homes. As pp stated, they also go to babysitter's homes. If your sitter is not okay with that then get another sitter, but I don't know of any daycare that does not accomodate early intervention. This happens all the time. You don't have to quit your job to accomodate the early intervention.

+ Add a Comment