Advise on transitioning to management

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I've recently completed my BSN after working for several years with my ASN on a Med-Surg floor and prior to that, my LPN. My end goal has always been to move up the ladder towards management and/or supervision. I will continue my education, working towards my MSN in the fall. However, most management positions only require the BSN, so I'm hoping to not have to wait until my MSN to make the switch.

It seems like all management postings want management experience though... I have 3 years inpatient experience and another 2 years clinic nursing experience. I'm charge trained and ACLS certified.

My question is- is there a transitional job that anyone would recommend? Like risk management or case management? Any other certifications that would make me a more appealing candidate?

I don't think anyone will hire me as a department manager etc. with only floor nursing experience. (If someone asked my 10-year plan, my dream job would be the DON of a rural hospital or similar.)

I want to make sure I make smart choices for my career.

Thank you!

I would look for "supervisor" roles. Typically these are people that "supervise" staff, but they still have a manager to refer to. You'll find these roles in many places. With your clinic experience I would start there.

I would also take to hear to clean up your social media presence. At least make your FB private if nothing else. I also suggest cleaning up your "friends list".

Good luck.

+ Add a Comment