Need advice on ethics

Nurses HIPAA

Published

If a CNA takes a picture of a deceased resident, is it still a HIPPA violation? It was not posted to any social media that I am aware of, but it was shown to coworkers in the facility. I am unsure of what to do, but it isn't sitting right in my conscience.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Absolutely it is a violation. Even if they had not shown it around it was a violation. That they did makes it very black and white.

Specializes in ORTHO, PCU, ED.
There is no justification whatsoever for taking a picture of a deceased patient and circulating it around the workplace. Not just because of HIPAA either. It's a violation of their right to be treated with dignity and compassion. I hope this incident will be reported and the guilty person loses her/his job.

Ditto. Nothing more to add. Someone needs to be fired.

Specializes in Critical Care.

If the only information the photo reveals about the patient is that they died then no, it's not a HIPAA violation, it's super-creepy, but not a HIPAA violation.

In the culture most of us our familiar with it's not acceptable behavior, but it's worth noting that post-mortem portraits used to be quite common in the US, and it's still common in a number of cultures. Basically, the deceased in propped up weekend-at-bernies style and a last set of pictures is taken, sometimes alone, sometimes as a family style portrait.

+ Add a Comment