Grants?

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Telemetry, Gastroenterology, School Nrs.

I am currently shopping around for new vision screening equipment and have hit a wall where funding is concerned. I am being told that we do not have the money to purchase new equipment. Understandable; however, our current equipment hits the "no longer approved" list by 2020. Getting something new is not something we can skip. I am hoping maybe I can find some Grant opportunities to help with the cost. I have searched the Lion's Club and some other options but am wondering if you all have heard of or applied through other organizations?

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

Kind of in the same boat, my equipment is very outdated and we aren't in the position to buy new. What we did was contact the Lion's and they were more than happy to come and screen my entire elementary with their spot screening. They even printed out reports for me to put in the kids's files and to send home. Worked out great. I only use my old equipment if I have a vision concern throughout the year.

Great idea Eleven011! I will keep that on my list of possibilities, for sure!

Specializes in School Nursing.

Does your PTO give your teachers some $$ for their classrooms? If so, maybe ask for some for the health office for next year?

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Public or private? Our health department does our screenings, we are private.

MrNurse, we are a public school district.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.
MrNurse, we are a public school district.

You may want to check with your health department anyway, they may offer it for you. I have mine next Thursday and all I have to do is get the charts ready.

I'm definitely going to check into that! Thank you!

Kind of in the same boat, my equipment is very outdated and we aren't in the position to buy new. What we did was contact the Lion's and they were more than happy to come and screen my entire elementary with their spot screening. They even printed out reports for me to put in the kids's files and to send home. Worked out great. I only use my old equipment if I have a vision concern throughout the year.

How does that work? Does it just give you a pass/fail? Just wondering for documentation purposes, we do acuity near and distance. Also, our Lion's Club does the preschool and when i asked them to do a k student I was getting conflicting screenings on, I was told they are only supposed to do up to age 5. I suppose it was a different kind of screener. Just curious.

Specializes in education, school nursing, med-surg, urgent care.

A few other options---Maybe a friendly letter to local optometrists/ophthalmologists for funding? Or to your local LensCrafters or other eyewear company? Or try social media funding like gofundme, if allowed by the district.

Specializes in Pediatric.

We have a local company out after we do our basic screens and they will come out and re-check and give out glasses.

We are in the process of ordering an eye machine that the child looks in and it snaps a picture. Gives us a print out as well.

We are dividing the cost with a nearby school district. It is the only way we can afford it.

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.
How does that work? Does it just give you a pass/fail? Just wondering for documentation purposes, we do acuity near and distance. Also, our Lion's Club does the preschool and when i asked them to do a k student I was getting conflicting screenings on, I was told they are only supposed to do up to age 5. I suppose it was a different kind of screener. Just curious.

Sorry I just saw this. It gives way more than pass/fail. It prints out a picture of the childs eyes, with detailed numbers and results. It checks for mypoia, hyperopia, astigmatism and gaze development. As for documentation, I just use a pass/fail and note that vision exam was done by Lion's spot screener. Not sure on the age thing, ours were more than happy to screen up to 6th grade.

+ Add a Comment