New to CICU

Specialties CCU

Published

Specializes in Critical Care.

I Recently accepted a position for CICU at a teaching hospital. I only have MICU experience from a smaller hospital. What exactly should I focus on to build my up my knowledge. I know that I need to brush up on PA caths, IABP, TVP, etc. but any tips or info about those topics would be great!!:) I'm excited to start something new but also nervous.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I Recently accepted a position for CICU at a teaching hospital. I only have MICU experience from a smaller hospital. What exactly should I focus on to build my up my knowledge. I know that I need to brush up on PA caths, IABP, TVP, etc. but any tips or info about those topics would be great!!:) I'm excited to start something new but also nervous.

The trouble with using acronyms on an international forum is that not everyone uses the same acronyms. I've worked in CCU, CVICU, CSICU, SICU but I'm not entirely sure what "CICU" means to you. Cardiac patients? Medical and Surgical or just one or the other?

I'm guessing you'll need to know rhythms, temporary pacemeakers, Pulmonary artery catheters and hemodynamic monitoring, intra aortic balloon pumps and know a little something about ventricular assist devices (even if you never see them) and cardiac surgery. Know and understand the vasoactive drips, too.

+ Add a Comment