RN to CST? Unheard of?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Would it be unheard of for an RN (BSN degree) to take a CST course (if, say, your organization provides tuition reimbursement), in order to be more appealing as someone to scrub?

I'm a periop nurse right now (circulator) and my manager knows I would like to learn to be able to act in the scrub role occasionally (I got taught the basics of scrubbing and did get experience scrubbing in when I was in nursing school; scrubbed in on a lot of ex-laps when I did my OR capstone in nursing school)

If I wanted to scrub more, would it be stupid to take a CST course, even if just for the sake of being a better scrub? Or would CNOR be the equivalent anyway?

Also, I know it would be a hell of a pay cut, but if I fell in love with scrubbing more than circulating, would anywhere hire me as a CST if I got a CST certification knowing that I was already an RN but I would still be making the CST rate?

If your hospital would reimburse you for getting scrub tech certified I can't see any drawback. Some hospitals only have RN's scrub.

Your other questions, I don't know the answer.

You could post your question in the Specialities section....Operating Room nurses.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Wouldn't it be better to take the first assist class for nurses? I am not sure if that is offered and allowed in every state, but might be better.

Annie

+ Add a Comment