FNP practice

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Hi everyone, I am new around here so help me please. I have my BSN for 2 years now and have enjoyed work thus far. I am 38, a wife and mother. Although I am enjoying being a busy tele pcu nurse I cannot begin to think I will be able to do this for 30 more yrs. I applied for FNP school and got accepted. I am just worried if this is the right choice for me or not. I applied because I enjoy nursing and want to spend my career as a nurse but I want to have outlets for making more money for my family as well as a possible more 8-5 type of choice for hours. I am supposed to start school in 3 weeks and am so conflicted as to what to do. If I am being completely honest I am terrified. I feel like I have no idea if this is right for me. I am not afraid to be honest and say I really just want to make more money with my BSN but do not know how. I do love nursing, and what we do for patients. I just do not know if going into FNP just for a pay increase is the right thing to do. Any advice.

Do you know any NPs? Can you shadow anyone? That's what I did when I was in the process of applying, to make sure I would like it. There's going to be people that get on here and say "You can make as much if not more as an RN if you work full time plus over time every single pay period!" Yeah. But you'd still be an RN working 12s and over time every pay period. It all depends on what NPs are making in your area, so I'd take it with a grain of salt when people get on here and tell you not to do it for the $ because you won't make much more. But seriously, don't do it for the money do it because you love it. So my long winded reply is, shadow someone ASAP ;)

Honestly if you're doing it for the money I would reconsider. Unless you are able to fully pay for school without loans or know that you will get a significant pay increase it may not be worth it. For me personally, becoming an FNP I took a pay cut after everything is said and done, but I am a jew graduate so you have to account for that. Also consider that there is an abundance of FNPs, and unless you have researched and networked to ensure that you have a good job after graduating then I would think carefully. I have a classmate that worked in the ED that was making 60k after being a nurse for a out 2 years and he got a significant bump in salary probably over 30k. But for me I was making about 85k and make about 10k more as NP but it is salary so it is a fixed amount. Ultimately as others have said unless you are in a specific situation where acquiring an FNP will serve your needs go for it, but solely looking for monetary gain I would be judicious in your choice. Good luck in whatever you choose.

By the time you factor in the financial value of hours you will put into school, plus the loans, you may not make very much more. It depends a lot on your local market.

If you could shadow a local NP that would help to see what the job entails.

Unfortunately, most people will not tell you what they really make. That is a very tightly guarded secret in our society.

If the pay is mediocre, they don't want to admit it, and if it is good, they don't want more competition.

If they are doing it for the money, probably 50% of NP's are not satisfied, because they only make 100k, and now have a student loan.

My NP degree did eventually pay off, but it took about 6 years after graduation. And it was mostly just luck. Right place at the right time scenario.

Specializes in Critical Care.

If/when I go to NP school, it is going to take a lot of financial planning. I currently make about 70/year base (before overtime/differentials), and if I stay in my hospital system, would start in the low 80's as an NP, which after loans would probably mean less usable income monthly. Talk to your HR department to see if they can disclose the pay scale for NPs. Think about if you are going to be salaried and working 40 (or more) hours for the same pay. I think a lot of my 20 something peers think getting their DNP/FNP is the ticket to a better life, but do not always carefully weight all factors.

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

Most experienced RNs who become NPs take an initial pay cut for their first NP job. In addition, certain RN jobs can pay extremely well, more than some NP jobs. I wouldn't become an NP just to make more money, because that may or may not happen. If you love nursing, then you might be better off exploring ways to make more money as an RN. There are also RN jobs that have an 8 to 5 schedule, so you might want to check those out: school nurse, RN for clinical research, RN management, case manager, etc.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am in Kansas City and last year as. BSN full time I only made 51K. So getting bumped up to 80 or more seems like a good enough increase to motivate me as far as pay. I have looled into pay and it ranges from 85 to 120. With my employee discount school will cost me about 29k. I am planning to pay cash as I go or at least half. So it seems like the numbers are there it is just my own worries about the role of an FNP vs a floor nurse. I am worried about the responsibility and actually gettinf through school and passing the test as well. So many decisions. Thanks

There's no harm in trying, right?! good luck!

I applied because I enjoy nursing and want to spend my career as a nurse but I want to have outlets for making more money for my family as well as a possible more 8-5 type of choice for hours.

I beg you to reconsider. You will spend a lot of money and time and more than likely end up unfulfilled. Do it because you are interested in practicing medicine. Because you want to be an advanced provider. Someone who diagnoses and prescribes. Hours and money will ultimately leave you feeling dissatisfied.

+ Add a Comment