Internet requirements for working at home?

Specialties Quality Improvement

Published

Hi I'm considering getting out of being a LTC DON and working from home. My cousin works in an at-home QI position for Humana now and she loves it. Unfortunately, I live in a rather rural area and we don't have cable internet or DSL. I can get 4G internet and I'm wondering if anyone on here knows if mobile internet would be fast enough?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Usually it is a requirement that you have cable/ fiber optic internet. I know my work-at-home job requires it and satellite/ 4G doesn't cut it.

Specializes in NICU.

My girlfriend does medical transcription from home and we had an issue of no internet available when we built our new house. Mobile internet was way too slow and inconsistent for her job. She ended up renting an office space for a couple months until ATT could install internet in our neighborhood.

She had a coworker that lives in a rural area and tried satellite internet. She had the same problems plus being unable to work during thunderstorms. The signal can't penetrate the thick clouds. It is the same problems as Satellite TV.

Hmmm I wonder what I would have to pay for an office space

Specializes in Pedi.

I do have internet in my home but I have generally found using my work-provided cell phone as a mobile hot-spot to be sufficient when I need it- like on the day that I had guys at my house who had to shut off my electricity while they installed a new furnace or on the days when I'm in the field/seeing patients and have a few hours to kill in between patients so set up in a Panera or Dunkin Donuts to do some charting.

Specializes in Outpatient/Clinic, ClinDoc.

Check for co-working spots near you.. I am rural and even we have a few, which can be monthly or daily.

Thankfully, I do have cable internet but I have looked up these sites just in case the 'net is down as my cellphone service is nil out here.

Check for co-working spots near you.. I am rural and even we have a few, which can be monthly or daily.

Thankfully, I do have cable internet but I have looked up these sites just in case the 'net is down as my cellphone service is nil out here.

What are co-working spots? That sounds promising!

Specializes in ICU.

Tell your cousin she is stinkin lucky ? I am in process of trying to get Quality position from home. Did she have previous experience?

+ Add a Comment