Can nurses live a luxurious life?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello,

I live in NY and I plan on being a RN and getting a bachelors degree. The majority of answers I've seen on this topic is "it's not about the money" etc. I would never take a job for the money bc I know I'd end up hating and regretting it. However, is it possible as a nurse to live a luxurious life where you can afford nice things? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Specializes in Pedi.
The average isn't making anywhere NEAR 70k unless they have years of experience, work overtime or live in a high cost of living. Most new grads in my area aren't making 50k WITH a BSN unless they work nights and pick up OT.

The average American also isn't responsible for LIVES and most people with a BA or BS don't have the level of responsibility that a nurse has. So, quit comparing LPNs and RNs to other professions...it is comparing apples to oranges.

The average includes nurses with years of experience, those who work overtime and those who live in high cost of living areas. A simple Google search will verify that what Serhilda said is objectively true.

Registered Nurse Salary and Wages by State

Registered Nurse Salary

average rn salary - Google Search

New grad salaries are a small portion of the average of nurses across the continuum. If you average a new grad salary of 50K in your area with my salary, our average will be over 70K.

Specializes in Medical Surgical.

I live in the Midwest and have less than 5 years of nursing experience. I just took a just making around $95,000 before overtime. However, my previous job I made about half of that without overtime. I had a really nice opportunity handed to me. Can that afford me, my husband, kids, and animals "luxuries"? No, but we can be comfortable and not have to worry so much.

Specializes in Critical Care.

I've been a nurse for almost two years and i honestly can't complain about the pay. There are so many opportunities to dramatically increase your pay (full time somewhere, per diem somewhere else, OT with critical shifts, agency work). In any job it's important to live below your means and afford yourself certain luxuries. My coworkers who don't have families travel all the time, buy nice things here and there, and have bought homes/cars. So you'll definitely live a comfortable life if you're being reasonable. I am usually able to save 1000 or more a month and I live in the nicest part of the city (but I am cheap with other things).

Specializes in Critical care.

Posted in error

Luxurious no. Comfortable yes.

+ Add a Comment