Need help with redness/open areas

Specialties Wound

Published

Specializes in Home Health, PDN, LTC, subacute.

Hi everyone. I care for a male patient with C-4 quadriplegia. No pressure areas but he has redness and frequent open sores in the scrotal/groin fold area. The open areas are shallow and heal quickly but then come back. His scrotal skin is now red and flaking. Every cream I apply does nothing to stop this. MD is not concerned but I would like to find a solution. Right now I am applying a foam dressing to any open areas and changing it every other day after bowel routine. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

hello.. have you tried applying antifungal cream powder because it looks like fungal infection related to moisture especially in the skin folds.

Specializes in Hospice.

Agree with the previous poster that fungal would be a consideration for this area. In addition to what you are already doing, it might be worthwhile to consider if there is need to address moisture management and/or look at the turning/ repositioning schedule for this patient. Also, if available recent labs (albumin etc) might give some clues if there are other approaches that might need to be addressed.

Promoting skin integrity is such an important aspect of patient care for patients in all specialities. Kudos for addressing this!

Specializes in Home Health, PDN, LTC, subacute.

Thank you! The antifungal treatment is helping. We are doing our best to keep it clean and dry and that has improved the look of the area as well.

+ Add a Comment