DITEP?

Specialties School

Published

Has anybody done the DITEP training? It is two days... worth it? Thoughts?

http://www.decp.org/community-resources/ditep/

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I'm going to add some info:

In cooperation with the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), the strengths from the three programs were combined to form the Drug Impairment Training for Educational Professionals (DITEP). This training is intended to provide school administrators and nurses with a systematic approach to recognizing and evaluating individuals in the academic environment who are abusing and impaired by drugs, both legal and illegal, in order to provide early recognition and intervention.

DITEP is derived from the national Drug Evaluation and Classification (DEC) Program, a successful law enforcement procedure used to detect drug and alcohol impaired drivers. The methods employed in this training are based on medical and scientific facts. The information is supported by research conducted in both laboratory and field studies. The DEC Program was validated in laboratory by studies conducted at the Johns Hopkins University, and in the field by the Southern California Research Institute.

The training will enable school nurses to determine first of all, whether or not the student is impaired. If it is determined that there is impairment, whether the impairment is due to a medical problem or is drug related. And finally, if the impairment is drug related, through proven diagnostic procedures, what category or categories of drugs that are likely causing the observed impairment.

http://www.decp.org/community-resources/ditep/

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i looked more into this type of training when i was working in the HS setting. It comes up less frequently now in the setting i'm in (thankfully!)

I attended the training and it was great. In fact, it was a few years ago and I would like to go again as a refresher.

+ Add a Comment