Advice for the young.

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Has anyone ever been fired from a nursing job for medication error and still managed to be successful and pursue the career?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Yes it is.

Lots of people have.

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

As long as you learned from it, and are applying that knowledge to your practice moving forward you should be just fine :)

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

I made one in nursing school.

I made another one the first month of practicing as an RN.

Of course, these were not sentinel errors, but they were med errors and required documentation, assessment of the patient, notification of the patient/family as well as physician and monitoring.

Life has gone on just fine.

I made one in nursing school.

I made another one the first month of practicing as an RN.

Of course, these were not sentinel errors, but they were med errors and required documentation, assessment of the patient, notification of the patient/family as well as physician and monitoring.

Life has gone on just fine.

Thank you for the feed back. The error made was not a sentinel error.

You will be okay. In fact, I wager you will be a better nurse for having made the error and learning from it.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

We are not perfect. The only error is really not to learn from the error you made. You might consider taking a refresher course on medication. The Board of Nursing in most states will assign you one if you're disciplined but you could voluntarily take one to shore up your position. Check the BON website.

We are not perfect. The only error is really not to learn from the error you made. You might consider taking a refresher course on medication. The Board of Nursing in most states will assign you one if you're disciplined but you could voluntarily take one to shore up your position. Check the BON website.

Is this true if the error was omitting a medication on accident?

Yep. My first med error was accidentally failing to give insulin after POC check indicated it.

Yep. My first med error was accidentally failing to give insulin after POC check indicated it.

What did the BON do?

Or more so what should I expect from the BON? How's long do they take to contact you ?

+ Add a Comment