Question about letter of recommendation for CRNA program

Students SRNA

Published

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of getting ready to apply to a couple of CRNA programs. One of them requires three letters of recommendation, one of which has to be from a professional reference who is not an immediate supervisor.

I have three options. The director of professional development for nursing at my hospital, a nursing educator, or one of the neurosurgery residents I work closely with (I'm in the neurosurgical ICU).

Which one of those do you feel would be the best letter of recommendation to send from an admissions stand point? Thanks for your replies in advance!

Shanimal

184 Posts

Whoever can speak best to your abilities as an ICU nurse.

KatLW

15 Posts

Agree, the person who knows you and your ability the best will write the best letter about you. The less personal the relationship, or the less familiar with your practice, the more generic the letter will sound.

BigPappaCRNA

270 Posts

I can't say that I would give much weight to a LOR from a resident. They are students themselves, and maybe not the strongest voice at knowing what to look for as an employee and student going forward. I suppose it is better than nothing, but it is kind of some weak sauce. If you feel a letter from an MDA would help your application (and it might, depending on where you want to attend), get one from one of your units medical directors.

Hobberdog

154 Posts

Go with the resident. It will reflect the confidence that they have in your abilities as a nurse and your ability to work together as a team, each playing a vital part in the care of your patients.

+ Add a Comment